[Grml] grml autoconfig and kvm network
T o n g
2010-09-25 02:14:19 UTC

Whenever I use the '-net user' kvm command-line option, the guest grml
will not have the eth0 device.

According to
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Networking

,-----
| By default, if you enable the usermode networking using the '-net
| user' command-line option, the guest OS will get an IP address in
| the 10.0.2.0/24 address space and the host OS will be reachable
| at 10.0.2.2.
`-----

However, whenever I use the '-net user' option, there will be no eth0
device. I.e.,

kvm -net user -boot d -cdrom grml-medium_2010.04.iso

This I'll get an eth0 device, and an IP for it.

kvm -net user -boot d -cdrom grml-medium_2010.04.iso

This I won't get the eth0 device. The /etc/network/interfaces file only
contains lo device, no eth0.

Is it my kvm problem or grml autoconfig's?

FYI, my kvm is just the vanilla one:

$ apt-cache policy qemu-kvm
qemu-kvm:
Installed: 0.12.5+dfsg-3
Candidate: 0.12.5+dfsg-3
Version table:
*** 0.12.5+dfsg-3 0
360 http://cdn.debian.net testing/main Packages
50 http://cdn.debian.net unstable/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Please help.

Thanks
--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/
T o n g
2010-09-25 02:17:13 UTC
Post by T o n g
However, whenever I use the '-net user' option, there will be no eth0
device. I.e.,
kvm -net user -boot d -cdrom grml-medium_2010.04.iso
Should read:

kvm -boot d -cdrom grml-medium_2010.04.iso
Ulrich Dangel
2010-09-25 02:39:42 UTC
* T o n g wrote [25.09.10 04:14]:
Hi,
Post by T o n g
Hi,
Whenever I use the '-net user' kvm command-line option, the guest grml
will not have the eth0 device.
Yes, because the nic specification is missing.
Post by T o n g
According to
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Networking
,-----
| By default, if you enable the usermode networking using the '-net
| user' command-line option, the guest OS will get an IP address in
| the 10.0.2.0/24 address space and the host OS will be reachable
| at 10.0.2.2.
`-----
The documentation is wrong. The current version of
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Networking does not contain this
paragraph anymore. Seems to be fixed since 2010-09-20.
Post by T o n g
Is it my kvm problem or grml autoconfig's?
Neither. The the paragraph was wrong.

regards,
Ulrich
--
twitter: @mr_ud | identica: @mru | http://spamt.net/
IRCNet: mru | freenode: mrud
T o n g
T o n g
T o n g
T o n g
2010-09-25 03:04:02 UTC
Post by T o n g
However, whenever I use the '-net user' option, there will be no eth0
device. I.e.,
kvm -boot d -cdrom grml-medium_2010.04.iso
This I'll get an eth0 device, and an IP for it.
kvm -net user -boot d -cdrom grml-medium_2010.04.iso
This I won't get the eth0 device. The /etc/network/interfaces file only
contains lo device, no eth0.
Is it my kvm problem or grml autoconfig's?
Most probably it's kvm. Still probing why....
Ulrich Dangel
2010-09-25 03:18:05 UTC
* T o n g wrote [25.09.10 05:04]:
Hi,
Post by T o n g
Post by T o n g
Is it my kvm problem or grml autoconfig's?
Most probably it's kvm. Still probing why....
The nic specification is missing. So its neither kvm nor
grml-autoconfig problem but incorrect/missing commandline options.

Some examples:
,----
| -net nic,model=virtio -net user
| -net nic,macaddr=00:1d:92:ab:3f:73 -net tap,ifname=tap2,script=no,downscript=no
`----

regards,
Ulrich
--