[Grml] Trying to boot grml ISO image with grml-rescueboot fails
Frédéric Boiteux
2011-02-18 07:24:20 UTC
Hello,

I don't know GRML yet, but I've heard about it in Mikas' blog
(http://michael-prokop.at/blog/2011/01/07/booting-iso-images-from-within-grub2/)
and liked to try it, so I installed grml-rescueboot (0.2.0 version)
debian package from http://deb.grml.org/ and installed it on my Debian
Squeeze system, along with the grml64-medium_2010.12.iso image
in /boot/grml directory. I then tried to boot it through the Grub2's
menu entry, but it didn't work (using menu, we don't see any error
message). I then try to launch every command of the menu entry in
Grub2's command line, and it fails in the line :

loopback loop "/boot/grml/grml-medium_2010.12.iso"

telling it doesn't find this file. I?think the 'root' setting is
missing, and as I?have before Grml a grub menu entry to boot a Windows
partition, the last root setting isn't the right one.

I've manually set 'root' and then I finally got a new menu, from GRML,
and then I tried the 'forensic mode', as I?didn't want GRML using my
swap partition (I?had an hibernated system there), but the debian-live
system didn't work. I don't have any clue here as the 'debug' variable
wasn't set (and so /live.log was empty), but I'll retry this when I
have some spare time).

Hope it can help,
Fred.
Andreas Gredler
2011-02-18 16:55:37 UTC
Post by Frédéric Boiteux
Hello,
loopback loop "/boot/grml/grml-medium_2010.12.iso"
telling it doesn't find this file. I?think the 'root' setting is
missing, and as I?have before Grml a grub menu entry to boot a Windows
partition, the last root setting isn't the right one.
Could you please post your grub.cfg.
Post by Frédéric Boiteux
I've manually set 'root' and then I finally got a new menu, from GRML,
and then I tried the 'forensic mode', as I?didn't want GRML using my
swap partition (I?had an hibernated system there), but the debian-live
system didn't work. I don't have any clue here as the 'debug' variable
wasn't set (and so /live.log was empty), but I'll retry this when I
have some spare time).
What did not work? It didn't boot? What was the last visible message?

greets Jimmy
--
Andreas "Jimmy" Gredler
,'"`. http://www.jimmy.co.at/ | jimmy at g-tec.co.at
( grml.org -? Linux Live-CD for texttool-users and sysadmins
`._, http://www.grml.org/ | jimmy at grml.org
Michael Prokop
2011-02-18 17:25:28 UTC
Post by Frédéric Boiteux
I don't know GRML yet, but I've heard about it in Mikas' blog
(http://michael-prokop.at/blog/2011/01/07/booting-iso-images-from-within-grub2/)
and liked to try it, so I installed grml-rescueboot (0.2.0 version)
debian package from http://deb.grml.org/ and installed it on my Debian
Squeeze system, along with the grml64-medium_2010.12.iso image
in /boot/grml directory. I then tried to boot it through the Grub2's
menu entry, but it didn't work (using menu, we don't see any error
message). I then try to launch every command of the menu entry in
loopback loop "/boot/grml/grml-medium_2010.12.iso"
telling it doesn't find this file. I?think the 'root' setting is
missing, and as I?have before Grml a grub menu entry to boot a Windows
partition, the last root setting isn't the right one.
Ah, good catch - looks like a bug in grml-rescueboot.
Post by Frédéric Boiteux
I've manually set 'root' and then I finally got a new menu, from GRML,
Can you please try adding the following code after line 36 to
/etc/grub.d/42_grml:

$(prepare_grub_to_access_device ${GRUB_DEVICE_BOOT}) | sed -e "s/^/ /")

so /etc/grub.d/42_grml looks like:

[...]
cat << EOF
menuentry "${title}" {
$(prepare_grub_to_access_device ${GRUB_DEVICE_BOOT} | sed -e "s/^/ /")
iso_path="${rel_dirname}/$grml $CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS"
[...]

If that works for you I'd apply this fix and upload a new version of
grml-rescueboot.
Post by Frédéric Boiteux
and then I tried the 'forensic mode', as I?didn't want GRML using my
swap partition (I?had an hibernated system there), but the debian-live
system didn't work. I don't have any clue here as the 'debug' variable
wasn't set (and so /live.log was empty), but I'll retry this when I
have some spare time).
You can add debug=vc manually to the kernel cmdline in Grml's
bootsplash or just select the debug menu entry if you want a more
verbose boot mode.

Notice that you don't need the forensic mode for this situation as
Grml won't use your swap partition unless you explictely request to
do so.

Thanks for reporting, Fr?d?ric!

regards,
-mika-
Can you please try adding the following code after line 36 to
$(prepare_grub_to_access_device ${GRUB_DEVICE_BOOT}) | sed -e "s/^/ /")
[...]
cat << EOF
menuentry "${title}" {
$(prepare_grub_to_access_device ${GRUB_DEVICE_BOOT} | sed -e "s/^/ /")
iso_path="${rel_dirname}/$grml $CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS"
[...]
If that works for you I'd apply this fix and upload a new version of
grml-rescueboot.
Your line had a typo (the first ")" has to be removed), then I can get
the Grml menu (I've joined my 42_grml file for reference).
Post by Michael Prokop
You can add debug=vc manually to the kernel cmdline in Grml's
bootsplash or just select the debug menu entry if you want a more
verbose boot mode.
Notice that you don't need the forensic mode for this situation as
Grml won't use your swap partition unless you explictely request to
do so.
Thanks for the precision.

I still have a problem booting Grml, but I don't see exaclty what is
wrong and how it can work for you ;-) my Grml booting problem is that
live system doesn't find the ISO, because of problem in kernel command
line :
I get a kernel command line (from my memory) like :
apm=power-off quiet ... iso="/boot/grml/grml64-medium_2010.12.iso " ...

The problem comes from the quotes around ISO path, as set in 42_grml :
iso_path="/boot/grml/grml64-medium_2010.12.iso "
(I don't at first set CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS, I then tried with some
options, with the same result)

I have to remove quotes in iso_path definition to be able to boot, then
in that case, I lose optional boot options set in CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS).

I've tried to understand how Grml's Grub menu works (with variables like
"${isoopts}" "${kernelopts}", i'm not sure about the first variable
name), but I don't understand where these variables are set, and how to
have a correct boot command with optional BOOTOPTIONS.

Perhaps you'll have some ideas about this,

with regards,
Fred.

Can you please try adding the following code after line 36 to
$(prepare_grub_to_access_device ${GRUB_DEVICE_BOOT}) | sed -e "s/^/ /")
[...]
cat << EOF
menuentry "${title}" {
$(prepare_grub_to_access_device ${GRUB_DEVICE_BOOT} | sed -e "s/^/ /")
iso_path="${rel_dirname}/$grml $CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS"
[...]
If that works for you I'd apply this fix and upload a new version of
grml-rescueboot.
Your line had a typo (the first ")" has to be removed), then I can get
the Grml menu (I've joined my 42_grml file for reference).
Wupps, right.
Post by Frédéric Boiteux
Post by Michael Prokop
[...]
Thanks to your excellent hints I could spot the problem. I just
uploaded grml-rescueboot 0.3.0 to grml-testing that should fix this
issue.

Sadly there's still a problem with CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS when having
more than one option (so CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS="ssh=password" works
but CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS="ssh password lang=de" fails). I've an idea
how this could be resolved but this needs further testing.

Anyway, your main issue should be fixed - please let us know whether
it works for you!

regards,
-mika-
Thanks to your excellent hints I could spot the problem. I just
uploaded grml-rescueboot 0.3.0 to grml-testing that should fix this
issue.
Sadly there's still a problem with CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS when having
more than one option (so CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS="ssh=password" works
but CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS="ssh password lang=de" fails). I've an idea
how this could be resolved but this needs further testing.
Anyway, your main issue should be fixed - please let us know whether
it works for you!
Hi Mika,

I've tested your new 0.3.0 version, it works fine for grml
ISO?detection, and the GRML system boot fine. The only remaining gotcha
is actually what you tell : the CUSTOM_BOOTOPTIONS remains with quotes
in the kernel command line, and thus is misunderstood.

I wonder where is the file /boot/grub/loopback.cfg
referenced in the Grub boot stanza : in the ISO?itself ?

Now I will have to play with your nice tool, learning how to use it
and ? how to customize it !

Thanks,
Fred.
Frédéric Boiteux