[Grml] Easiest way to install Debian with grml-debootstrap
Keith Hinton
2009-10-21 10:00:00 UTC
Hi.
I've heard a lot about grml-debootstrap, GRML's debian installation
script. I am assuming this does not install sid (but stable)

Hear is what I was wondering.
1.
What is the easiest way to get a debian installation going with it,
(as I am no Debian exbert) and will be using the Speakup support in
GRML)
2. Is it difficult to get the isntallation done?
3. How can I get a grml-kernel (because it includes speakup)
downloaded into the new Debian isntallation, as the stock kernel will
not talk out of the box.
I could do the manual work of installing via git with
linux.speakup.org, but would rather not.
Thanks again, all!

My final question:
What happened to grml? development seems to be not happening, nothing
was released in september, and now October is coming to a close.
I would like an explination from the leader of grml as to why this has
been happening.
The roadmap still shows whatever it was...so..

Thanks again.
Happy CD developing.

Regards, --Keith
Michael Prokop
2009-10-21 12:13:10 UTC
Post by Keith Hinton
What happened to grml? development seems to be not happening, nothing
was released in september, and now October is coming to a close.
I would like an explination from the leader of grml as to why this has
been happening.
The roadmap still shows whatever it was...so..
Sorry we weren't that chatty, we are busy working on the stable
release. The first release candidate will appear within the next 2
days, the stable release is expected for 2009-10-31. And the release
will bring *really* cool features. :)

regards,
-mika-
What happened to grml? development seems to be not happening, nothing
was released in september, and now October is coming to a close.
I would like an explination from the leader of grml as to why this has
been happening.
The roadmap still shows whatever it was...so..
Keeping roadmaps up to date is for dying project. :-)
Development happens in version control. And that has been everything
but dead for us.

Regards, Frank
Michael Schierl
2009-10-21 17:14:41 UTC
Post by Keith Hinton
Hi.
I've heard a lot about grml-debootstrap, GRML's debian installation
script. I am assuming this does not install sid (but stable)
It installs stable by default, but claims to be able to install
oldstable, stable, testing and unstable. I have only used it to install
stable by now.
Post by Keith Hinton
Hear is what I was wondering.
1.
What is the easiest way to get a debian installation going with it,
(as I am no Debian exbert) and will be using the Speakup support in
GRML)
1. Partition your disk (using cfdisk or parted or whatever you prefer).
You do not need to format the partition, but making it bootable never
hurts.

2. Start grml-debootstrap and follow the instructions (it will ask about
where to install to, where to install from and the root password).
Alternatively you can give all these parameters on the command line,
see man grml-debootstrap.

3. Wait some time (depending on your network speed).

4. Afterwards your Debian installation is finished. You only have to
reboot into it. It will be a minimal Debian installation with a few
more packages listed in /etc/debootstrap/packages. Use apt-get to
install other things you want to have.
Post by Keith Hinton
2. Is it difficult to get the isntallation done?
If you just want plain Debian, no. If you need more before booting it
(like speakup), you will have to chroot into your installation and add
what you need (aptitude install ...).
Post by Keith Hinton
3. How can I get a grml-kernel (because it includes speakup)
downloaded into the new Debian isntallation, as the stock kernel will
not talk out of the box.
There is a prepackaged version of speakup available in package
speakup-modules-2.6-686, but I don't know how current it is and whether
it supports all the speak options included with GRML.

I do not think espeakup is packaged for Debian stable; it is available
in testing and unstable.

When I find some time later, I might try to get a vanilla Debian Lenny
(installed with grml-debootstrap) to (software-)speak, but I cannot
promise anything.

Hope this helps,

Michael
Michael Schierl
2009-10-21 21:42:58 UTC
Post by Michael Schierl
When I find some time later, I might try to get a vanilla Debian Lenny
(installed with grml-debootstrap) to (software-)speak, but I cannot
promise anything.
Okay, I tried it :-)
Post by Michael Schierl
There is a prepackaged version of speakup available in package
speakup-modules-2.6-686, but I don't know how current it is and whether
it supports all the speak options included with GRML.
I did not get that one to load speakup_soft without crashing my
(virtual) machine, so I tried builing it from source instead.
in testing and unstable.
Michael Prokop
2009-10-21 21:49:42 UTC
* Michael Schierl <schierlm at gmx.de> [20091021 23:44]:

[...]
Then download and compile stable speakup modules. Note that we have to
cheat a bit here, as the makefile tries to refer to the currently
running kernel's module directory via `uname -r`, but the currently
running kernel is 2.6.28-grml and not 2.6.26-2-686. If there is any
cleaner way to do that, please tell me - and no, I don't think
symlinking the modules directories is cleaner.
The speakup kernel modules provided via Debian don't work?
Something like:

aptitude install speakup-source
m-a -l 2.6.26-2-686 a-i speakup

should do the trick.

HTH && regards,
-mika-
The speakup kernel modules provided via Debian don't work?
aptitude install speakup-source
m-a -l 2.6.26-2-686 a-i speakup
should do the trick.
Yeah, it printed some garbled output during the process, but the modules
it built were fine. Stange that these modules work and the pre-built
modules don't...

Michael
Michael Schierl

Michael
Michael Schierl

Michael Prokop

Post by Michael Schierl
I do not think espeakup is packaged for Debian stable; it is available
in testing and unstable.
From quick googling I could not find a download link for espeakup
either, but since speech dispatcher is included in Debian, I used
speechd-up - successfuly.

Let's chroot into our freshly deboostrapped system:

# grml-chroot /dev/sda1 /bin/bash
# cd ~

Ok, first install speech dispatcher and alsa utils (for setting the
volume which somehow starts muted on my machine) and a few packages
needed for compiling stuff:

# aptitude install speech-dispatcher alsa-utils
# aptitude install build-essential libspeechd-dev libglib2.0-dev

Then download and install speechd-up (I did this first because I wanted
to use the Debian modules from speakup, which did not work):

# wget \
http://www.freebsoft.org/pub/projects/speechd-up/speechd-up-0.4.tar.gz
# tar xfz speechd-up-0.4.tar.gz
# cd speechd-up-0.4
# ./configure
# make speechd-up
# make install
# cd ..

Then download and compile stable speakup modules. Note that we have to
cheat a bit here, as the makefile tries to refer to the currently
running kernel's module directory via `uname -r`, but the currently
running kernel is 2.6.28-grml and not 2.6.26-2-686. If there is any
cleaner way to do that, please tell me - and no, I don't think
symlinking the modules directories is cleaner.

Anyway, here we go:

# wget --passive \
ftp://linux-speakup.org/pub/speakup/speakup-3.1.3.tar.bz2
# tar xfj speakup-3.1.3.tar.bz2
# cd speakup-3.1.3/src
# echo 'ls -1 /lib/modules' >/root/uname
# chmod a+x /root/uname
# export PATH=/root:$PATH
# make
# make modules_install
# rm /root/uname
# export PATH=${PATH:6}
# cd ../..

Now I built a small init script and stored it as /etc/init.d/speakup:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/amixer set PCM 80% unmute
/usr/bin/amixer set Master 80% unmute
/sbin/modprobe speakup_soft
/usr/local/bin/speechd-up

Now set permissions and symlink it to get it started late at the boot
process:

# chmod a+x /etc/init.d/speakup
# cd /etc/rc2.d
# ln -s ../init.d/speakup S90speakup

Done. After a reboot into my shiny new system, my Debian Linux spoke to
me. And I was glad I knew I just had to press CapsLock+Ctrl+Return to
"turn him off". :-)

Regards,

Michael
Michael Schierl