[Grml] Installing/configuring plain-Debian system with grml-specific kernel/Speakup/other options
Keith Hinton
2010-05-11 05:49:34 UTC
I have read all documentation available throughout http://www.grml.org itself.
Despite all this, I am presented with a situation that I'm trying to figure out.
The GRML kernel for quite sometime now (beginning with release 2009.10
and above) has continued to provide excilent support for my wireless
card in a new laptop computer that I recently aquired.
I happily have been executing grml-network to configure the wireless
card, enable WPA-encryption, and everything else needed to launch
primary networking on the GRML CD with the Speakup Linux screen
reader, and as of right now am using present available stable release
of GRML LiveCD.
What I am trying to do is:
1. Install a Debian system (rather than GRML directly to hard-drive) however:
1. Somehow I need grml's kernel (the one compiled for 64-bit support)
the present available version to somehow be used in the Debian
environment on my hard-drive, because you folks have already taken
care of the Speakup modules, and the CPU frequency scailing and other
options.
I'm trying to figure out to do that, and the second thing I am asking
for assistance in doing is:
How to insure that WPA works out of the box with the given wireless
network I'm trying to use (or that grml-network) will be able to make
use out of the Debian system to assist me with this task.
That's specifically what I'd like to do-I just don't want to have to
spend millions of hours trying to fight the grml-specific stuff to get
what I'm trying to get working.
GRML's kernel is half the battle; the rest of this fight is in getting
grml-network to work from within the plain Debian system on top of
having GRML's 2.6.whatever kernel installed rather than the standard
kernel that Debian would use-because that kernel would then require
possible manual configuration-and I am not even sure if Speakup itself
is a Debian package-I assume the GRML team uses Speakup from Debian
Cid/Unstable.

If anyone from the GRML team could assist me in this matter or if
anyone else using GRML specifically has any specific ideas on this
process, I'd appreciate whatever assistance possible.
While plenty of GRML documentation does exist, there isn't anything
specific to what I'm trying to have done so that's why I'm asking here
for any possible suggestions.
(The hardware works perfectly fine on the GRML LiveCD system.)
I'm just trying to figure out how to make sure that when I reboot,
GRML's present kernel will run, along with
Speakup/espeak/espeakup/etc, along with grml-network etc.
I could of course install GRML itself via grml2hd, but would rather
install a plain-Debian system instead.
Thanks for helping.

Regards, --Keith
Michael Whapples
2010-05-11 10:22:28 UTC
OK, I'm not fully sure whether what I will suggest will work, but worth
suggesting it.

I guess you could just add the GRML repositories to the debian system
and install the desired GRML packages. I imagine for you to do this it
will require you to chroot into the new system before rebooting.

The one question which possibly needs raising is which branch of debian
do you intend to use (stable/testing/unstable)? I ask this because I
think all GRML packages are against unstable.

I think now debian provides speakup and espeakup in unstable (speakup
may have been provided for some time in stable). As for the wireless,
well I would imagine the debian kernels to have the same drivers
available. As for grml-network, while nice may be not the perfect
solution for an installed system (I don't think it supports network
profiles, etc for people who move about), may be another tool like wicd
would be suitable or even better (wicd has a command line, curses and
gnome interface and is reasonably accessible with a screen reader, could
be better in some areas for accessibility).

Michael Whapples
Hi,
Regards, --Keith
Jason White
2010-05-11 06:09:41 UTC
Keith Hinton <keithint1234 at gmail.com> wrote:
eCD.
Post by Keith Hinton
1. Somehow I need grml's kernel (the one compiled for 64-bit support)
the present available version to somehow be used in the Debian
environment on my hard-drive, because you folks have already taken
care of the Speakup modules, and the CPU frequency scailing and other
options.
the Debian developers have taken care of all those issues in their kernels as
well, so you should just be able to install a Debian kernel. If not, add the
GRML repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list file and install a kernel
package.

As to WPA, you need to install the wpasupplicant package and configure it;
search the Web or read the manual pages for the details.
Keith Hinton

Regards, --Keith
Michael Whapples

Regards, --Keith