[Grml] iscsitarget and iscsitarget-module-... in grml 2011.05
Urs Blaser
2011-11-02 20:24:06 UTC
Hello everyone

After still using 2010.12 for a long time, i switched my
troubleshooting usb-stick to 2011.05 and tried to export a local drive
via iscsi.

Sadly this didn't worked out of the box because the kernel module was
missing. I checked the packages and found that
iscsitarget-module-`uname -r` wasn't installed... After installing
this, there was a module version mismatch which required a upgrade of
iscsitarget.

The module version mismatch is supposedly due to the fact that the
packages evolved since the release. But why didn't the kernel module
made it into the release when it's needed by iscsitarget that's
shipped - and that http://grml.org/kernel/ advertises this module.

What did i miss in the whole process?

And how do i best prepare for the next use of iscsitarget from the
liveCD?

Best regards and thanks for all the good work.
Ursus
Urs Blaser

Ursus
Michael Prokop
2011-11-03 13:05:00 UTC
Post by Urs Blaser
After still using 2010.12 for a long time, i switched my
troubleshooting usb-stick to 2011.05 and tried to export a local drive
via iscsi.
Sadly this didn't worked out of the box because the kernel module was
missing. I checked the packages and found that
iscsitarget-module-`uname -r` wasn't installed... After installing
this, there was a module version mismatch which required a upgrade of
iscsitarget.
The module version mismatch is supposedly due to the fact that the
packages evolved since the release. But why didn't the kernel module
made it into the release when it's needed by iscsitarget that's
shipped - and that http://grml.org/kernel/ advertises this module.
What did i miss in the whole process?
You didn't miss anything, the iscsitarget module sadly
slipped through the release process. Sorry, my fault.
Post by Urs Blaser
And how do i best prepare for the next use of iscsitarget from the
liveCD?
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question.

If you want to fix the issue for the *existing* 2011.05 release then
your can either use the live persistency feature or remaster the ISO
(using grml-live with the provided chroots from
http://debian.netcologne.de/grml/release-chroots/ provides a pretty
simple way).

If you're interested how this is supposed to work with *upcoming*
release(s) of Grml: iscsitarget currently doesn't compile against
kernel 3.1.0 IIRC. But the 3.1 linux kernel provides a new
infrastructure for iscsi since the SCST implementation has been
replaced with the Linux-iSCSI.org target ->
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=e48354ce078c079996f89d715dfa44814b4eba01

But I'm not sure whether this will make it into the upcoming Grml
release in time since the necessary userspace tools (like lio-utils)
aren't available as Debian packages yet AFAICS. Any help on that
front is highly appreciated though.

regards,
-mika-