[Grml] Release Candidate 1 of grml 2009.10 available
Michael Prokop
2009-10-23 11:04:42 UTC
Hi!

We have new release candidates: the first release candidate of
version 2009.10 codename "Hello-Wien" is available!

Take a look at the release announcement for details about all the
cool new features:

http://grml.org/changelogs/README-grml-2009.10/

As usual we have different flavours available: the 32bit
versions grml, grml-medium and grml-small as well as the 64bit
versions grml64, grml64-medium and grml64-small.

Please test the ISOs and all the stuff you usually need so we can
provide rocking stable releases soon. The stable release is
scheduled for 31st of october.

Download the ISOs from the 'devel' directory of the mirrors listed
at http://grml.org/download/

Happy hacking and have fun with grml!

regards,
-mika-
We have new release candidates: the first release candidate of version
2009.10 codename "Hello-Wien" is available!
Congratulations mika. Thanks grml team for your hard work. Downloading
now...
Take a look at the release announcement for details about all the cool
http://grml.org/changelogs/README-grml-2009.10/
One question, is the "kqemu" kernel module included for backward
compatible reason? I think KVM can provide drop in replacement for kqemu
and is much better, is it?

cheers
--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/
Michael Prokop
2009-10-23 20:02:53 UTC
Post by T o n g
We have new release candidates: the first release candidate of version
2009.10 codename "Hello-Wien" is available!
Congratulations mika. Thanks grml team for your hard work. Downloading
now...
Please let us know if you notice any problems. :)
Post by T o n g
Take a look at the release announcement for details about all the cool
http://grml.org/changelogs/README-grml-2009.10/
One question, is the "kqemu" kernel module included for backward
compatible reason?
Jepp. (Or if you already use for example Virtualbox which doesn't
allow using KVM at the same time then.)
Post by T o n g
I think KVM can provide drop in replacement for kqemu
and is much better, is it?
Sure, but KVM might not work for everyone. :)

regards,
-mika-
Ah, I forgot that, only eying the modern PCs.

thanks.
T o n g

T o n g

Michael Prokop

Post by Michael Prokop
Hi!
We have new release candidates: the first release candidate of
version 2009.10 codename "Hello-Wien" is available!
Hi

I have a new amd64 from DNUK with Ubuntu Jaunty pre-installed so I've
been experimenting with grml64 "Hello-Wien". It installs to the second
hard drive no problem provided lilo is used as the boot-loader. I
installed lilo to the mbr.

When I ran grml2hd with grub2 as the boot-loader it seems that
grub-install never ran as when it came to reboot I was presented with
the lilo graphic and it had to freeze on the default choice. Running
grub-install /dev/sdb from a chroot fixed it but prior to this the
device.map file read

(hd0) /dev/vda

and there were no .mod files in /boot/grub in /dev/sdb1

By the way the all-in-one addon was no help as it is only geared to
the old grub and grub2 has no menu.lst file, as you know.

Thanks for all the continued efforts.
--
= = = = = = =
Very Best Wishes

Ah! Now I've done Philosophy,
I've finished Law and Medicine,
And sadly even Theology:
Taken fierce pains, from end to end.
Now here I am, a fool for sure!
No wiser than I was before:

Faust (Part I, Scene I)
Translation copyright of A.S. Kline 2003
http://poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/German/Fausthome.htm
Michael Schierl
2009-10-27 20:50:10 UTC
Post by Maurice McCarthy
By the way the all-in-one addon was no help as it is only geared to
the old grub and grub2 has no menu.lst file, as you know.
Erm... The all-in-one disk includes both Grub1 and Grub2 - you can load
Grub2 (0.96) from within Grub1. There you can type "configfile" and
(hopefully) load your Grub config :)

In addition, in 2009.10-rc1 you can try to boot MirBSD but then go back
to GRML from the boot menu, which will bring you to Grub2 as well.

Hope this helps,

Michael
Maurice McCarthy
2009-10-27 22:27:31 UTC
Post by Michael Schierl
Post by Maurice McCarthy
By the way the all-in-one addon was no help as it is only geared to
the old grub and grub2 has no menu.lst file, as you know.
Erm... The all-in-one disk includes both Grub1 and Grub2 - you can load
Grub2 (0.96) from within Grub1. There you can type "configfile" and
(hopefully) load your Grub config :)
In addition, in 2009.10-rc1 you can try to boot MirBSD but then go back
to GRML from the boot menu, which will bring you to Grub2 as well.
Hope this helps,
Michael
Oops! Didn't spot that. Thanks very much
Maurice
Michael Prokop
2009-10-27 22:56:11 UTC
Post by Michael Schierl
Post by Maurice McCarthy
By the way the all-in-one addon was no help as it is only geared to
the old grub and grub2 has no menu.lst file, as you know.
Erm... The all-in-one disk includes both Grub1 and Grub2 - you can load
Grub2 (0.96) from within Grub1. There you can type "configfile" and
(hopefully) load your Grub config :)
In addition, in 2009.10-rc1 you can try to boot MirBSD but then go back
to GRML from the boot menu, which will bring you to Grub2 as well.
Thanks for mentioning that, Michael.

One further additional note: the stable release will provide direct
access to Grub2 and Grub1 through the Addons menu in the bootsplash:

regards,
-mika-
Maurice
Michael Prokop
2009-10-27 22:56:11 UTC
Post by Michael Schierl
Post by Maurice McCarthy
By the way the all-in-one addon was no help as it is only geared to
the old grub and grub2 has no menu.lst file, as you know.
Erm... The all-in-one disk includes both Grub1 and Grub2 - you can load
Grub2 (0.96) from within Grub1. There you can type "configfile" and
(hopefully) load your Grub config :)
In addition, in 2009.10-rc1 you can try to boot MirBSD but then go back
to GRML from the boot menu, which will bring you to Grub2 as well.
Thanks for mentioning that, Michael.

One further additional note: the stable release will provide direct
access to Grub2 and Grub1 through the Addons menu in the bootsplash:

http://grml.org/screeni/gkrellShoot_09-10-27_235404.png

regards,
-mika-
Maurice
Michael Prokop

We have new release candidates: the first release candidate of
version 2009.10 codename "Hello-Wien" is available!
I have a new amd64 from DNUK with Ubuntu Jaunty pre-installed so I've
been experimenting with grml64 "Hello-Wien". It installs to the second
hard drive no problem provided lilo is used as the boot-loader. I
installed lilo to the mbr.
When I ran grml2hd with grub2 as the boot-loader it seems that
grub-install never ran as when it came to reboot I was presented with
the lilo graphic and it had to freeze on the default choice. Running
grub-install /dev/sdb from a chroot fixed it but prior to this the
device.map file read
(hd0) /dev/vda
and there were no .mod files in /boot/grub in /dev/sdb1
Thanks for reporting, recorded as http://bts.grml.org/grml/issue750
in our BTS - we will investigate.

regards,
-mika-