[Grml] Set resolution of grml-small in Virtualbox
Peter Falter
2010-03-12 11:28:54 UTC
Hi folks,

i am constrained to use M$ XP in a training course, but allowed to
have Virtualbox.

So i took a daily snapshot with debian/sid flavour, 2.6.33 kernel,
started succesfully, installed to HD and booted several times.
I am not able to change the screenresolution by kernel commandline vga=792.

I downloaded 2009.10 too, it starts with vga=791 and the size looks good.

Ah:
1) daily snapshot ls -l /dev/fb* -> no such device
2) 2009.10 ls -l /dev/fb* -> /dev/fb0

Looks like 2.6.33 gives me no framebuffer device.

Can you help me to get a decent screensize?
Peter Falter
2010-03-12 14:33:02 UTC
Oh...

it doesnt depend on the kernel version.
My second VM with grml 2009.10 kernel 2.6.31 only had the first time
started a /dev/fb0 and a decent screenresolution.
After grml2hd and reboot i put vga=792 by hand in the grub2
commandline - not in a grub configuaration file! - manually by hand! -
there is no /dev/fb0, screen is small.

So please help me, how do i configure a working framebuffer?

Thanx ;-)
Michael Prokop
2010-03-19 17:15:16 UTC
Post by Peter Falter
i am constrained to use M$ XP in a training course, but allowed to
have Virtualbox.
So i took a daily snapshot with debian/sid flavour, 2.6.33 kernel,
started succesfully, installed to HD and booted several times.
I am not able to change the screenresolution by kernel commandline vga=792.
I downloaded 2009.10 too, it starts with vga=791 and the size looks good.
[...]
Post by Peter Falter
Looks like 2.6.33 gives me no framebuffer device.
Can you help me to get a decent screensize?
it doesnt depend on the kernel version.
My second VM with grml 2009.10 kernel 2.6.31 only had the first time
started a /dev/fb0 and a decent screenresolution.
After grml2hd and reboot i put vga=792 by hand in the grub2
commandline - not in a grub configuaration file! - manually by hand! -
there is no /dev/fb0, screen is small.
So please help me, how do i configure a working framebuffer?
IIRC you were the one on IRC who brought up this issue. JFTR, we
resolved it through:

insmod gfxterm
insmod vbe

and

set gfxpayload=1024x768 in grub configuration. It's a grub2
specific issue. grub2 >=1.98-1 introduces a new option named
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX, btw.

regards,
-mika-
--