[Grml] grml virtualbox
John G. Heim
2015-04-17 03:07:44 UTC
I am trying to create a grml virtualbox virtual machine. My problem is
that it hangs during the boot from the live iso image. I'm blind so I
can't see the screen but I took a screen shot and ran an ocr on it. The
last 2 lines say this:

a it ganr sgsten hangs nan, disahie udeu uith buutuptiun "nuudeu .
a starting the hutplug euents dispatcher: udeud.

When grml is booting, at some point it says something like, "If your
system hangs now disable something or other". I am thinking that is what
is happening. But the ocr is so bad I don't know what to disable. Can
somebody tell me what that whole message says?

I created the vm with vboxmanage at the command line. So there might be
something wrong with the vm itself. Here is the output from showvminfo
if it helps:

Name: grml
Groups: /
Guest OS: Debian (32 bit)
UUID: 0c3d9b10-476c-4d44-984c-672223bd593d
Config file: /home/john/VirtualBox VMs/grml/grml.vbox
Snapshot folder: /home/john/VirtualBox VMs/grml/Snapshots
Log folder: /home/john/VirtualBox VMs/grml/Logs
Hardware UUID: 0c3d9b10-476c-4d44-984c-672223bd593d
Memory size: 1024MB
Page Fusion: off
VRAM size: 128MB
CPU exec cap: 100%
HPET: off
Chipset: piix3
Firmware: BIOS
Number of CPUs: 1
PAE: on
Long Mode: off
Synthetic CPU: off
CPUID overrides: None
Boot menu mode: message and menu
Boot Device (1): DVD
Boot Device (2): HardDisk
Boot Device (3): Not Assigned
Boot Device (4): Not Assigned
ACPI: on
IOAPIC: on
Time offset: 0ms
RTC: local time
Hardw. virt.ext: on
Nested Paging: on
Large Pages: off
VT-x VPID: on
VT-x unr. exec.: on
State: running (since 2015-04-17T02:38:37.290000000)
Monitor count: 1
3D Acceleration: off
2D Video Acceleration: off
Teleporter Enabled: off
Teleporter Port: 0
Teleporter Address:
Teleporter Password:
Tracing Enabled: off
Allow Tracing to Access VM: off
Tracing Configuration:
Autostart Enabled: off
Autostart Delay: 0
Default Frontend:
Storage Controller Name (0): SATA Controller
Storage Controller Type (0): IntelAhci
Storage Controller Instance Number (0): 0
Storage Controller Max Port Count (0): 30
Storage Controller Port Count (0): 30
Storage Controller Bootable (0): on
Storage Controller Name (1): IDE Controller
Storage Controller Type (1): PIIX4
Storage Controller Instance Number (1): 0
Storage Controller Max Port Count (1): 2
Storage Controller Port Count (1): 2
Storage Controller Bootable (1): on
SATA Controller (0, 0): /home/john/grml.vdi (UUID:
660b5876-7d75-4c46-93a1-53b448acbfb5)
IDE Controller (0, 0): /home/john/Downloads/grml32-full_2014.11.iso
(UUID: eef9e9b9-0bd1-44c9-b94b-d07b190d09c6)
NIC 1: MAC: 0800273EB948, Attachment: Bridged Interface
'eth0', Cable connected: on, Trace: off (file: none), Type: 82540EM,
Reported speed: 0 Mbps, Boot priority: 0, Promisc Policy: deny,
Bandwidth group: none
NIC 2: disabled
NIC 3: disabled
NIC 4: disabled
NIC 5: disabled
NIC 6: disabled
NIC 7: disabled
NIC 8: disabled
Pointing Device: PS/2 Mouse
Keyboard Device: PS/2 Keyboard
UART 1: disabled
UART 2: disabled
LPT 1: disabled
LPT 2: disabled
Audio: enabled (Driver: ALSA, Controller: SB16)
Clipboard Mode: disabled
Drag'n'drop Mode: disabled
Session type: GUI/Qt
Video mode: 1024x768x16 at 0,0
VRDE: disabled
USB: disabled
EHCI: disabled

USB Device Filters:

<none>

Available remote USB devices:

<none>

Currently Attached USB Devices:

<none>

Bandwidth groups: <none>

Shared folders: <none>

VRDE Connection: not active
Clients so far: 0

Video capturing: not active
Capture screens: 0
Capture file: /home/john/VirtualBox VMs/grml/grml.webm
Capture dimensions: 1024x768
Capture rate: 512 kbps
Capture FPS: 25

Guest:

Configured memory balloon size: 0 MB
OS type: Debian
Additions run level: 0

Guest Facilities:

No active facilities.
join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-devel-blog: http://blog.grml.org/
John G. Heim
2015-04-17 03:46:26 UTC
Here is a link to the image I captured from the virtual machine:

There must be some way to get a better image from a screen shot. That's
a virtualbox question though.
John G. Heim
2015-04-17 18:26:58 UTC
Neither boot option, noudev or that longer one you mentioned, made any
difference. I can try the daily image but I think the problem is
probably with my virtual machine. I created it at the command line with
vboxmanage commands and it probably just isn't quite right.

I might go back to vmware player. At least I had a working vm with
vmware player. But I don't like that there's no debian package for it.
And even with it's limitations, I do really like this screenshot feature
in virtualbox. I've been able to tell that my vm is hung by taking a
screen shot and running tesseract on the image.
Hi,
the message says: 'If your system hangs now, disable udev with
bootoption "noudev"'
Does adding boot option mgag200.modeset=0 help?
If this doesn't help either can you please test with a daily ISO
(from http://daily.grml.org/)?
As a last resort you can use the noudev boot option, but then plenty
of drivers won't be available in the running system. So it would be
interesting to identify why it fails for you.
regards,
-mika-
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~jheim/grml/grml1.png
John G Heim
2015-04-20 14:06:31 UTC
I finally got it to work but I am not entirely sure how. I think the
only change I made between tests was to increase the ram from 1024M to
2048M and the vram from 128M to 256M. I tried moving just the ram back
down to 1024M and got the same problem with it hanging during the boot.
Version grml32-full-2014.11 doesn't require more than a gig of ram, does
it? It could be some kind of weirdness with it being a virtual machine.
If I have time, I will repeat the test. Bump it back up to 2048 and see
if it hangs. If not, take it back down to 1024 and try it again.

I'm still working on that goal of creating a grml iso with a kernel
patched to support hardware speech synthesizers. I don't know if I want
to mess around with the boot issue too much. I've got a working vm and I
might just move on to trying to get the grml kernel recompiled.

As I write this, it occurs to me that I have an old PC with 512M of ram
and a bootable grml32-full-14-11 thumb drive. I can probably just try it
on that. It'd take me 5 minutes maybe.