[Grml] GRML-Medium in VirtualBox- <linux-headers-generic> obsolete.
Vivek Sharma
2009-11-14 17:17:21 UTC
Hi all,

I have installed grml-medium 2009.10 in VirtualBox on windows7. I am not
able to share-folder on host machine, a step before i am not able to install
Guest-Addition on my guest-os, i click devices>install guest addition,
nothing shows up. Some post said i need to install some kernel-patch in
grml. anyone any idea.

I try sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
it says package is obsolete or is referred to by some other package.

how do i resolve this, is there something else i have to install, than
linux-headers-generic like linux-headers or linux-headers-2.6.31-grml

thanks
Vivek S
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Hi

The guest additions and modules need to be installed on Windows 7.
grml does not know that it is inside virtual box. The virtual box site
does not list a separate download for this so I think your question is
better addressed to

forums.virtualbox.org

Good Luck
Maurice
--
Best Wishes
Best Wishes
Ulrich Dangel
2009-11-15 02:59:20 UTC
Post by Vivek Sharma
I have installed grml-medium 2009.10 in VirtualBox on windows7. I am not
able to share-folder on host machine, a step before i am not able to
install Guest-Addition on my guest-os, i click devices>install guest
addition, nothing shows up. Some post said i need to install some
kernel-patch in grml. anyone any idea.
The Virtualbox guest-additions are already available in grml. Just run as
root:
aptitude update
aptitude install virtualbox-ose-guest-modules-2.6.31-grml (or grml64 if
you
use grml64)
Post by Vivek Sharma
how do i resolve this, is there something else i have to install, than
linux-headers-generic like linux-headers or linux-headers-2.6.31-grml
It should be enough to just install the provided guest-modules.

You can also build the guest modules yourself (not recommend), just
install
virtualbox-ose-guest-source and kernel headers for your current kernel.
Then
you can use module-assistent to build the virtualbox guest-additions for
your current kernel.

regards,
Ulrich
Ulrich Dangel
2009-11-17 19:34:35 UTC
On Tuesday 17 November 2009 20:05:50 Vivek Sharma wrote:
Hi,

Please reply to the mailing list as other may have the same problem or someone
else could answer your questions.
Post by Ulrich Dangel
Post by Vivek Sharma
I have installed grml-medium 2009.10 in VirtualBox on windows7. I am
not able to share-folder on host machine, a step before i am not able
to install Guest-Addition on my guest-os, i click devices>install guest
addition, nothing shows up. Some post said i need to install some
kernel-patch in grml. anyone any idea.
The Virtualbox guest-additions are already available in grml. Just run as
aptitude update
aptitude install virtualbox-ose-guest-modules-2.6.31-grml (or grml64 if
you
use grml64)
i have done this, do i have install the script after this, when you mount
the guestAddition.iso and run the script. If yes, where will that script be
stored.
What script? You do not need the guestAddition.iso as everything needed is
already included in debian/grml.
If no thanks. but its still not working.
It should have worked. Please install virtualbox-ose-guest-utils and run:
/etc/init.d/virtualbox-ose-guest-utils start
or load the vbox kernel modules manually.

regards,
Ulrich
Ulrich Dangel

Ulrich