[Grml] grml-debootstrap problems
Michael Whapples
2010-02-15 14:29:09 UTC
Hello,
I am trying to install debian using grml-debootstrap but I get an error
about it not finding MAKEDEV. I retried but adding the makedev package
to /etc/debootstrap/packages but it still fails with the error. Infact
it seems like the packages in /etc/debootstrap/packages are not being
installed (eg. what is left in the mount point doesn't contain zsh
either or commands related to other packages I try and add).

This is just using the standard grml 2009.10 CD.

It has just occurred to me, I never do anything to update packages on
the CD first, was there a problem with the grml-debootstrap on the
2009.10 CD?

Michael Whapples
Michael Prokop
2010-02-15 14:33:18 UTC
Post by Michael Whapples
I am trying to install debian using grml-debootstrap but I get an error
about it not finding MAKEDEV. I retried but adding the makedev package
to /etc/debootstrap/packages but it still fails with the error. Infact
it seems like the packages in /etc/debootstrap/packages are not being
installed (eg. what is left in the mount point doesn't contain zsh
either or commands related to other packages I try and add).
This is just using the standard grml 2009.10 CD.
It has just occurred to me, I never do anything to update packages on
the CD first, was there a problem with the grml-debootstrap on the
2009.10 CD?
Please post the complete and exact error message and the
commandline / config you are using.

I assume this is an error in an *official* Debian package.

regards,
-mika-
I attach the config file I am using, I don't give any extra options to
grml-debootstrap. The error message isn't very descriptive, I get the
message about it creating generic devices in /dev (something like that)
then I get an error stating the script and that MAKEDEV cannot be found
(sorry I don't have the exact message in front of me, it was of the form:
/bin/chroot-script: xxx: MAKEDEV: command be found
Where xxx was a number which escapes me).

Michael Whapples
Post by Michael Whapples
[...]
Ok thanks. I've just uploaded grml-debootstrap 0.33 to the
grml-testing repository which should address your problem (thanks to
Ulrich Dangel for taking care of this issue).

Please let us know if you still encounter problems.

regards,
-mika-
It now gets stuck at the point of retrieving packages, it complains
about getting the packages.bz2 file and then exits.

I did get further when I tried using the version on the CD when I
changed to using lenny, however as lenny is far behind with certain
packages I really want to use either thesting or unstable (possibly I
would prefer testing as that might be a bit more stable).

Michael Whapples
-mika-
Michael Whapples

-mika-