[Grml] First Release Candidate of Grml version 2017.05 available
Leonhard Preis
2017-05-09 07:35:14 UTC
Wohoo! That made my day already and I just got to the office. Thank you!

One thing though: The download link in the changelogs, section "Download Grml 2017", is broken. It cannot decide if it is absolute or relative.

Leonhard
Hi,
so *finally* we did it again, jey! The first release candidate of
the upcoming Grml version 2017.05, code-named 'Freedatensuppe' is
available.
This Grml release provides fresh software packages from Debian
testing (AKA stretch). As usual it also incorporates current hardware
support and fixes known bugs from the previous Grml release.
For detailed information about the changes between 2014.11 and
http://grml.org/changelogs/README-grml-2017.05-rc1/
Please test the ISOs and everything you usually use and rely on, and
report back so we can complete the stable release soon. If no major
problems come up, the next iteration will be the stable release,
which is scheduled for the end of May (2017 *cough* :)).
Thanks to all contributors!
regards,
-mika- - for the Grml.org project
--
Unterwegs versandt
join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-devel-blog: http://blog.gr
John G Heim
2017-05-17 17:42:54 UTC
1. grml2usb from ubuntu xenial worked with this release candidate.

2. My braille display was not recognized automatically. With previous
versions of grml, I'd get braille during the boot and it would have
braille when the grml menu came up. This, in turn, allowed me to start
the screen reader.

3. I am not getting the grml music when the boot finishes. I am thinking
this was removed deliberately.
grml-devel-blog: http://blog.grml.
John G Heim
2017-05-19 14:05:53 UTC
The debian package for braille support is called brltty. There is a
parameter within /etc/default/brltty to put it into the initrc which
then causes it to auto-detect the braille display and start it
automatically. I am not sure how it worked under the 2014 release
though. All I know is that braille used to work automatically.

I have not tried the release candidate directly from a cd-rom/dvd. I'll
try that and see if I get the beep.
Hi,
thanks for reporting back on grml2usb from ubuntu.
Regarding braille, what software/kernel drivers/... are we speaking
about here, as in: what are you relying on or need to have present?
The Grml music/beep after bootup finished works for me, so this
sounds like a bug, it's clearly not intended.
regards,
-mika-