[Grml] Using grub2-dev in grml2usb suggestion for me.
Christian Hofstädtler
2011-10-06 14:57:59 UTC
Charles,
I plan to contribute it back as either a --luks option on grml2usb or
seporate script.
This definitively sounds interesting. Unfortunately I myself know nothing about LUKS / filesystem encryption on Linux.
Have I missed any issues in reasearch you are aware of ?
Is this approach logical ?
Can't really say. Maybe someone else on the list can comment on this.

In any case, please fork the git repository (possibly from https://github.com/grml/grml2usb ) and work from there.
Any pointers on how to proceede from chroot to usb ?
You'll have to patch grml2usb to generate the grub config stanzas you need. grml2usb should automatically pick up the grub version you've installed on the host machine, but note that it copies the grub files from /boot/grub/*.{mod,img} .
I'm open to any suggestions and could post bata of process as it would
need to be tested on more hardware than I have available.
Thanks for your input,
Charles
Thanks for contributing to Grml.

-ch
http://grml.org/ Grml Live Linux
Charles Hewson
2011-10-06 14:41:35 UTC
I work off two USB's when on the road. First is created with grml2usb on
2011.05 and a GRMLCFG partition for persistence. Second is created with
grml-crypto for for /home/someuser and /etc/vault. I was about to
re-script what I do manually at boot when I discovered grub2 development
tree now has a luks.mod (testing needed & i'm willing). I have built it
from src and installed into grml-chroot on a squeeze host. I expect to
use grml-live per remastering instructions and then grml2usb.

GOAL;
Phase 1 usb layout;
1 Meg unencrypted boot/decrypt area
remainder fat16 encrypted /boot. grml & grml64.
Phase 2
Unencrypted boot/decrypt area
Remanider lvm2/luks encrypted (for single passphrase at boot)
grml2usb partition with several flavors
GRMLCFG partition
home-rw
live-rw