[Grml] some problems in using grml-live
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-01-15 19:57:04 UTC
Hi. I want to make a grml cd with some kernel changes and adding some
packages. Now, I am using a system based on Jessie, but I want to build
based on sid. I tried to install the linux-header package, but it would
not install saying it needed kbuild4.1 which cannot be installed. Also,
I tried to install the linux-source-4.1 package, but ehe .xz file is
broken (unrecognized file format) when using tar Jxvf .

How to solve these problems?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-d
gilberto dos santos alves
2016-01-16 22:20:02 UTC
hi! please have you already see this grml blog with related information
about new versions [1]

[1]
http://blog.grml.org/archives/255-grml-live-create-your-own-grml-ISO.html
--
How do
you spend it?
sao paulo - sp - brasil
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-01-16 22:37:21 UTC
I have seen similar posts and read the documentation. But as to my
original questions -- can I build a sid based version on a jessie box?
Also, can you fix the linux-source-4.1 package and explain to me how to
install the linux-headers package which will not install?

Thanks.

grml-devel-blog: http://bl
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-01-17 02:08:33 UTC
When I tried to run
apt-get install linux-source-4.1
from your repository, I get a file which will not unpack. What do I
need to do to fix this problem?
sorry but i do not have permission to write files. please fill an issue of
broken url. what is url of broken file? could you publish log file of
messages and erros?
Can you fix the linux-source-4.1 tar ball so its not broken? Right now
when I do the apt-get install I get a file I cannot unpack.
If i understand what grml blog say, at moment using grml versions it is
not
possible, until udev regressions solved [1]. but i am not sure 100%.
imho you could use qemu to play with this tests. more easy is work use
some
gui qemu to test things.
[1] http://blog.grml.org/archives/2016/01.html
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
broken (unrecognized file format) when using tar Jxvf .
How to solve these problems?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
--
Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question
How do

grml-devel-blog: http://b
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-01-17 05:06:55 UTC
Here is the contents of the files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d
# grml-live override repository:
deb http://deb.grml.org/ grml-live main
deb-src http://deb.grml.org/ grml-live main
# stable Grml repository:
deb http://deb.grml.org/ grml-stable main
deb-src http://deb.grml.org/ grml-stable main
# testing/developer Grml repository:
deb http://deb.grml.org/ grml-testing main
deb-src http://deb.grml.org/ grml-testing main
hi. see that repository is not my own. it is from grml.org.
grml have lots of repositories.
i can help if you print or publish your log what url or repositories are in
your sources.list
regards from são paulo, brazil.
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
packages. Now, I am using a system based on Jessie, but I
want to
build
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
based on sid. I tried to install the linux-header package,
but it
would
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
not install saying it needed kbuild4.1 which cannot be
installed.
Also,
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by gilberto dos santos alves
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
How do
you spend it?
John Covici

c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-01-18 08:51:40 UTC
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
I have seen similar posts and read the documentation. But as to my
original questions -- can I build a sid based version on a jessie box?
Basically yes, our daily ISOs (http://daily.grml.org/) are also
generated on a Debian/jessie system. Though sid AKA unstable might
be broken from time to time (that's the nature of it and why it's
called unstable) and you should be familiar with unstable to work
with it. I'd recommend usage of stable or testing if possible.
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Also, can you fix the linux-source-4.1 package and explain to me how to
install the linux-headers package which will not install?
I've no idea what's your problem with linux-source-4.1 and the
linux-headers package. :) Please cite the exact error message as a
starting point.
When I install the linux-source-4.1 package using your repository, I
get a tar.xz file and when I try to unpack it, I get the message file
format unrecognized. This would lead to the conclusion that the package
is broken.

grm
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-01-18 12:53:11 UTC
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Also, can you fix the linux-source-4.1 package and explain to me how to
install the linux-headers package which will not install?
I've no idea what's your problem with linux-source-4.1 and the
linux-headers package. :) Please cite the exact error message as a
starting point.
When I install the linux-source-4.1 package using your repository, I
get a tar.xz file and when I try to unpack it, I get the message file
format unrecognized. This would lead to the conclusion that the package
is broken.
Since you don't post your exact command line I'm assuming you're
missing xz-utils being installed to have proper xz support?
regards,
-mika-
join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-devel-blog: http://blog.grml.org/
Its the xz partwhich did not recognize the file system. I did tar Jxvf
on the file and tried just with xz -d with same result. Can you check
it yourself?

Thanks.
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
join #grml on irc
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-01-18 15:24:01 UTC
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
Since you don't post your exact command line I'm assuming you're
missing xz-utils being installed to have proper xz support?
Its the xz partwhich did not recognize the file system. I did tar Jxvf
on the file and tried just with xz -d with same result. Can you check
it yourself?
% wget http://deb.grml.org/pool/main/l/linux/linux_4.1.7.orig.tar.xz
% tar atf linux_4.1.7.orig.tar.xz | tail -5
linux-4.1.7/virt/kvm/eventfd.c
linux-4.1.7/virt/kvm/irqchip.c
linux-4.1.7/virt/kvm/kvm_main.c
linux-4.1.7/virt/kvm/vfio.c
linux-4.1.7/virt/kvm/vfio.h
tar atf linux_4.1.7.orig.tar.xz 6.36s user 0.41s system 108% cpu 6.248 total
tail -5 0.03s user 0.23s system 4% cpu 6.248 total
But that was not the one I tried to install -- I tried to install by
doing
apt-get install linux-source-4.1
tar Jxvf linux-source-4.1.tar.xz
and this gave me a broken file.
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
join #grml on irc.f
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-01-18 16:08:37 UTC
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
But that was not the one I tried to install -- I tried to install by
doing
apt-get install linux-source-4.1
tar Jxvf linux-source-4.1.tar.xz
and this gave me a broken file.
# apt-get install linux-source-4.1
# cd /usr/src
# file linux-source-4.1.tar.xz
linux-source-4.1.tar.xz: POSIX tar archive (GNU)
# tar atf linux-source-4.1.tar.xz | tail -5
linux-source-4.1/virt/kvm/eventfd.c
linux-source-4.1/virt/kvm/irqchip.c
linux-source-4.1/virt/kvm/kvm_main.c
linux-source-4.1/virt/kvm/vfio.c
linux-source-4.1/virt/kvm/vfio.h
So don't add the "J" option to the tar command line and it will work
just fine.
OK, very unusual, but I will certainly try that -- thanks.

grml-devel-b
c***@ccs.covici.com