[Grml] Call for Help: Grml's Download webpage
Michael Prokop
2010-04-10 10:22:59 UTC
Hi!

We need your help!

http://grml.org/download/ sucks from user's POV.
Too overloaded, rc vs. stable not clearly visible,..
We'd like to see that page improved.

I for myself like the way Ubuntu is doing that with
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

We already have a GeoIP setup for our mirrors (being
http://download.grml.org/), we just don't have an according
integration into our homepage yet.

What I'd like to see:

* a "wizard-like" download webpage, similar to
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

* provide an easy way to choose between the flavours
(default to grml-full, 32bit) and stable vs. testing/development
versions (release candidates and maybe even dailys from
daily.grml.org?)

* provide a better integration of checksum (files) and information
about flavours

* [ your place for innovation :) ]

You think you could help us? We'd love to hear from you!

regards,
-mika-
Hmm... a drop down which will bring user to a mirror download link?

I am a web programmer so I should be able to help you ... if noone helps you
already ... : )

--
Chaitat Piriyasatit

... waking up to pee and see whats up online

2010/4/10 Michael Prokop <mika at grml.org>
Post by Michael Prokop
[...]
join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-devel-blog: http://grml.supersized.org/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Chaitat Pattana
Hmm... a drop down which will bring user to a mirror download link?
I am a web programmer so I should be able to help you ... if noone helps
you already ... : )
IMHO it should really be more like a wizard, e.g. select 32/64bit, the flavor
(small/medium/normal) and then probably (?) the version, stable, rc, daily
images.

And if you want you can also allow to choose the base distribution for the
daily images (stable/testing/unstable)

regards,
Ulrich
Samat K Jain
2010-04-13 04:51:21 UTC
Post by Ulrich Dangel
IMHO it should really be more like a wizard, e.g. select 32/64bit, the
flavor (small/medium/normal) and then probably (?) the version, stable,
rc, daily images.
And if you want you can also allow to choose the base distribution for the
daily images (stable/testing/unstable)
Ulrich, I hope you don't mind me hijacking your reply, I just subscribed to
the list recently and don't have the original message to reply to.

I haven't finished my mock-up yet but it is complete enough to give people a
general idea. See:

http://caligula.rhombic.net/~xjjk/grml/

I'm making this with the use cases I have in mine as a grml user. I really
don't think a Ubuntu-style wizard is useful or appropriate (honestly, I've
never used that page--I've always gone directly to cdimages.ubuntu.com for
getting Ubuntu CD images), especially given grml's technically oriented
audience. Rather than a wizard, my mockup is intended to be more a "filter."

My thoughts on the ideal download page (most of this is in the mockup):

* Filename should be visible. I want to know exactly what I'm downloading.
* Basic file metadata should be visible, with the minimum being an image's
SHA1. With the current site, you have to read a lot of text and click 3 or 4
things to reach it. I included file size and MD5 in the mockup, I'm not sure
whether these are necessary.
* Architecture, Flavor, and Version filters should be automatically selected
to the most popular download.
* All links/information about a CD image should be grouped together,
including metadata, release notes, and direct download/BitTorrent/rsync
links. Download links should point directly to files (including rsync--since I
don't think the new DNS name handles rsync I'm not sure the best way to do
this). If I want to download an image file to say, my headless download
server, it should be no more than 2 clicks (copy link from download page,
paste into terminal). Same for BitTorrent and rsync.

On technology (at the time of this e-mail this is not evident in the mockup):

* At release time, a script should generate/collect all the metadata about
each CD image. This should get output as a new HTML file. This script can be
either be run automatically, via some kind of event hook, or manually by the
maintainer. Said HTML page is static (w.r.t. the server).
* Said HTML file should contain information about all releases (or perhaps
only 2 or 3 releases back). Javascript (jQuery) will be used to filter through
the releases people want (I'm sorry, it's 2010: if you're still avoiding
Javascript, then just deal with the long list).

I'm going to continue working on this for the next few days, in particular
adding Javascript to make the filtering work (unless the response is that
everyone hates it). Please let me know what you think!

Regards,
Samat
--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA

Conway's Law: In any organization there will always be one person who
knows what is going on. This person must be fired.
-- None (446)
[...]
Thanks for the mockup, I like it - good catches!
Post by Samat K Jain
* At release time, a script should generate/collect all the metadata about
each CD image. This should get output as a new HTML file. This script can be
either be run automatically, via some kind of event hook, or manually by the
maintainer. Said HTML page is static (w.r.t. the server).
* Said HTML file should contain information about all releases (or perhaps
only 2 or 3 releases back). Javascript (jQuery) will be used to filter through
the releases people want (I'm sorry, it's 2010: if you're still avoiding
Javascript, then just deal with the long list).
Shouldn't be a problem.
Post by Samat K Jain
I'm going to continue working on this for the next few days, in particular
adding Javascript to make the filtering work (unless the response is that
everyone hates it). Please let me know what you think!
JS is fine for me, but please make sure that people without JS
(enabled) can download Grml as well. We've to take care of people
with higher security considerations as well as of users of
textbrowsers. It's ok if the JS version is smoother due to
its advanced possibilities. Compare current grml.org/download/
page with and without JS to see what I mean.

thanks && regards,
-mika-
Post by Samat K Jain
http://caligula.rhombic.net/~xjjk/grml/
/me likes.

I think that there should be a number behind the "Known Issues" indicating
if there are any.

Also, I think it is high time to deprecate md5 & SHA 1 by putting them into
an "other fingerprints" box or page.
Ideally, only SHA 512 & Whirlpool would be shown, by default.

Richard
Michael Prokop

Richard
Michael Prokop

Richard
Samat K Jain

Ulrich
Ulrich Dangel

Ulrich
Michael Prokop

Post by Michael Prokop
We need your help!
http://grml.org/download/ sucks from user's POV.
Too overloaded, rc vs. stable not clearly visible,..
We'd like to see that page improved.
[...]
Post by Michael Prokop
You think you could help us? We'd love to hear from you!
Are there any news from anyone? Do you need further information from
the Grml team to continue developing? I like what users contributed
so far, would be nice if we could polish the stuff together so we
can integrate it on http://grml.org/download/ - would love to see it
implemented before we're releasing our next stable release! :)

regards,
-mika-