[Grml] Creating Live USB with grml2usb
Roman Gelfand
2011-03-16 16:34:13 UTC
I would like to put grml live cd on usb drive. I created bootable w96
fat32 partition and formatted it using mkfs.vfat. I ran "grml2sub
grml.iso /dev/sdb1".

I am getting boot error.

I tried to create live usb with unetbootin. This worked. Would
anyone have an idea what is going wrong?

Thanks in advance
Ulrich Dangel
2011-03-16 18:33:46 UTC
* Roman Gelfand wrote [16.03.11 17:34]:
Hi,
Post by Roman Gelfand
I would like to put grml live cd on usb drive. I created bootable w96
fat32 partition and formatted it using mkfs.vfat. I ran "grml2sub
grml.iso /dev/sdb1".
I am getting boot error.
I am sorry to hear that. What was exactly the problem? Can you write the
message down or make a screenshot with a camera? Without any further
information we can't help you.

Ulrich
Roman Gelfand
2011-03-17 03:01:23 UTC
The error I am getting when booting is "Boot error" displayed on a
black screen. The grml2usb troubleshooting documentation suggests I
should partition and format usb drive with "mkdiskimg -4 /dev/sdb 1024
64 32" for USB-ZIP configuration. I did that and still getting "Boot
error". At the same time when I use unetbootin utility to create a
bootable usb drive, it works. Are you saying, in this case, the usb
drive appears to BIOS neither as usb-hdd not usb-zip?

Thanks in advance
Post by Ulrich Dangel
Hi,
I would like to put grml live cd on usb drive. ?I created bootable w96
fat32 partition and formatted it using mkfs.vfat. ? I ran "grml2sub
grml.iso /dev/sdb1".
I am getting boot error.
I am sorry to hear that. What was exactly the problem? Can you write the
message down or make a screenshot with a camera? Without any further
information we can't help you.
Ulrich
join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-devel-blog: http://grml.supersized.org/
chris h
2011-03-17 07:06:53 UTC
Roman,
Post by Roman Gelfand
The error I am getting when booting is "Boot error" displayed on a
black screen. ?The grml2usb troubleshooting documentation suggests I
should partition and format usb drive with "mkdiskimg -4 /dev/sdb 1024
64 32" for USB-ZIP configuration. ? I did that and still getting "Boot
error". ? ?At the same time when I use unetbootin utility to create a
bootable usb drive, it works. ? Are you saying, in this case, the usb
drive appears to BIOS neither as usb-hdd not usb-zip?
You could try cloning the unetbootin USB stick configuration.
What works or doesn't heavily depends on your BIOS.

grml2usb depends on syslinux for booting. If you didn't use the latest
grml version to run grml2usb, you might want to try upgrading syslinux
(4.x should be fine).
'Boot error' means syslinux couldn't find it's second stage loader.

-ch
chris h

-ch
chris h