[Grml] grml2hd
Chaitat Pi
2012-12-22 05:16:07 UTC
Dear Grml

I have been using Grml as my desktop environement for many years already.
Just recently I got a new computer so I had to set up my new machine. I
downloaded grml 2012.05 and found out that I couldn't find grml2hd anymore.
I went through your FAQ but it only talked about how to install Debian.

What should I do to have a Grml desktop?

- apt-get install grml2hd and use grml2hd as before?
- install Debian and run *some???* script to have all luxury Grml's
super special configurations? How?

Thank you very much.

--
chaitat
-------------- next part --------------
Post by Chaitat Pi
What should I do to have a Grml desktop?
This question was recently asked on the list. Apparently, GRML is now focused
on being a rescue/recovery environment, not a general-purpose Linux
distribution. The recommendation is to install Debian, which you can do after
booting your GRML distribution, of course, by running grml-debootstrap.
Alexander Wirt
2012-12-22 07:32:03 UTC
Post by Jason White
Post by Chaitat Pi
What should I do to have a Grml desktop?
This question was recently asked on the list. Apparently, GRML is now focused
on being a rescue/recovery environment, not a general-purpose Linux
distribution. The recommendation is to install Debian, which you can do after
booting your GRML distribution, of course, by running grml-debootstrap.
in fact we never really supported grml2hd. We never intended to have an
installable distribution.

Alex
John Magolske
2012-12-30 05:27:34 UTC
Post by Jason White
This question was recently asked on the list. Apparently, GRML is now
focused on being a rescue/recovery environment, not a general-purpose
Linux distribution. The recommendation is to install Debian, which you
can do after booting your GRML distribution, of course, by running
grml-debootstrap.
I installed GRML to hardrive on a laptop a while back (grml-version
tells me "grml 2011.05 Release Codename Just Mari [2011.05.29]). I've
been doing the regular `aptitude dist-upgrade` with the official
Debian repository ( http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ ), am currently
running the 3.2.0-3-686-pae kernel, etc...so AFAIK it's more or less
an up-to-date Debian Sid. It's been working fine, but given that
installing grml to hardrive is not recommended or supported, I'm
wondering if I should convert my system over to straight-up Debian and
how complicated that might be. An `aptitude purge grml` will remove
the grml package, but I'm not sure that really does much in this regard.

TIA for any clarification,

John
--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact
Thomas Köhler
2012-12-22 11:30:18 UTC
Post by Chaitat Pi
Dear Grml
[...]
Post by Chaitat Pi
What should I do to have a Grml desktop?
I personally build my own version of grml using grml-live (adding
my favorite extra software in the process), then put the
resulting ISO on a USB disk, then I boot from there. If you use
the "toram=grml.squashfs" boot option, you don't loose much
performance (compared to a disk installation).

Ciao,
Thomas
Thomas K?hler Email: jean-luc at picard.franken.de
<>< WWW: http://gott-gehabt.de
IRC: tkoehler Freenode: thkoehler
PGP public key available from Homepage!
Thomas K?hler Email: jean-luc at picard.franken.de
<>< WWW: http://gott-gehabt.de
IRC: tkoehler Freenode: thkoehler
PGP public key available from Homepage!
join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-devel-blog: http://blog.grml.org/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Hello,

if you put a labeled partition on the usb media (keywords: persistency & GRMLCFG) and boot with the right options, it can be feel like a grml desktop. You can combine the self-builded grml-iso with grml-rescueboot to provide it on a hardware system.
Regards,
bionix
Post by Chaitat Pi
Thanks for your idea.