[Grml] OT: does anybody have experience with grub 2
Aleksandar Lazic
2009-10-27 21:20:18 UTC

Sometimes we have ~4T storage and I want to boot from this

GPT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

The new grub should be able to handle this but I haven't seen a
distribution which use it ;-(

Maybe there is another bootloader for linux which is able to boot from
such a disc?

Many thanks for help ;-)

Cheers

Aleks
Michael Prokop
2009-10-27 22:39:59 UTC
Post by Aleksandar Lazic
Sometimes we have ~4T storage and I want to boot from this
GPT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
The new grub should be able to handle this but I haven't seen a
distribution which use it ;-(
Grub2 is deployed for example with new Ubuntu installations by
default and Debian Lenny + Squeeze provide Grub2 as well. The next
stable release of Grml (upcoming in those days) provides Grub2 as
well.
Post by Aleksandar Lazic
Maybe there is another bootloader for linux which is able to boot from
such a disc?
Grub 1.97 (which counts as Grub2) was released a few days ago and
provides improved GPT support:

http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/tags/release_1_97/NEWS?revision=2653&root=grub

Also check out http://grub.enbug.org/BIOS_Boot_Partition

HTH && regards,
-mika-
Sometimes we have ~4T storage and I want to boot from this
GPT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
The new grub should be able to handle this but I haven't seen a
distribution which use it ;-(
Grub2 is deployed for example with new Ubuntu installations by default
and Debian Lenny + Squeeze provide Grub2 as well. The next stable
release of Grml (upcoming in those days) provides Grub2 as well.
Thanks for that info.

I have overread it in the release note sorry.

###
integrate grub2 for hybrid boot (special thanks to Thorsten Glaser)
###
Post by Aleksandar Lazic
Maybe there is another bootloader for linux which is able to boot
from such a disc?
Grub 1.97 (which counts as Grub2) was released a few days ago and
http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/tags/release_1_97/NEWS?revision=2653&root=grub
Yes, I have seen this and that was the reason of my question ;-)

BR

Aleks
Aleksandar Lazic

Aleks
Aleksandar Lazic

Aleks
Axel Beckert
2009-10-27 23:12:15 UTC
Post by Aleksandar Lazic
Sometimes we have ~4T storage and I want to boot from this
GPT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
The new grub should be able to handle this but I haven't seen a
distribution which use it ;-(
Ubuntu 9.10 as well as Debian Unstable (Sid) use it by default. It's
in Debian Stable (Lenny) also optionally available. There are even
backports of grub2 from backports.org available for Debian Oldstable
(Etch).

Never had problems with them on i386 or amd64. I once already
installed grub2 from backports.org on an Etch box with 3 TB RAID while
to Debian installer was still running. :-)

I though have severe problems with grub2 onn Sparc. Currently sitting
in front of my UltraSparc, testing the newest version if they fixed
them this time. :-)

HTH, Axel
--
/~\ Plain Text Ribbon Campaign | Axel Beckert
\ / Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News | abe at deuxchevaux.org (Mail)
/ \ I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/ (Web)
Aleksandar Lazic

Aleks