[Grml] GRML Accessibility Features
Simon Eigeldinger
2016-02-11 19:38:07 UTC
Hi all,

I just refreshed my rescue cd with the latest grml sid daily.
so according to the wiki page at
http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=accessibility
i just have to wait until a musical tune will come up during boot.
what i hear is the beep of the boot prompt but the musical tune is missing.
ok the document has been last modified in 2013 so there could be have
been a lot of changes.

could someone please tell me how to start grml using software speech
using speakup?
should be the old way but it seems it doesn't reach the console.

greetings and thanks,
simon

---

join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-devel-blog: http:/
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-02-11 23:46:37 UTC
On my system, it takes quite a long time till the musical tone comes up,
it usually is at least 2-3 minutes. It must be a network timeout. This
is with betas as of beginning of January.
Post by Simon Eigeldinger
Hi all,
I just refreshed my rescue cd with the latest grml sid daily.
so according to the wiki page at
http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=accessibility
i just have to wait until a musical tune will come up during boot.
what i hear is the beep of the boot prompt but the musical tune is missing.
ok the document has been last modified in 2013 so there could be have
been a lot of changes.
could someone please tell me how to start grml using software speech
using speakup?
should be the old way but it seems it doesn't reach the console.
greetings and thanks,
simon
---
join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-devel-blog: http://blog.grml.org/
How do
you spend it?

John Covici
***@ccs.covici.com
join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-de
Simon Eigeldinger
2016-02-12 11:33:05 UTC

I was having this on for a few minutes after it stopped spinning so to
make sure this might be it.
but maybe there might be an error message.
tested the 32 bit latest daily sid build.
when i have a set of eyes around i will recheck and write back.

greetings,
simon
--
Simon Eigeldinger
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/domasofan/

---

join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-dev
John G Heim
2016-02-12 13:52:29 UTC
If you have a smart phone and the KNFB reader, you might be able to get
it to read enough of the screen to you to tell if it's stuck part way
through the boot. I've had maybe a 50% success rate with that technique.
Another thing you can do is to try commands like beep and eject. If
those work, you know you're at the command line. If you are typing in
the commands to get speech and it's not working, then it's probably a
sound issue.
Hi,
join #grml o
Simon Eigeldinger

grml-devel-blog: http://
John G Heim
2016-02-12 16:07:29 UTC
There is a menu that comes up when you boot grml. Could that be what you
are getting? You should be able to press the Q key to get a command
prompt. And then try the eject command to see if it opens your CD
drawer. If you don't have a CD drive, you could also try beep. Once
you're sure you are at the command prompt, you can type in the commands
to start speech. You probably already know this but just in case, the
commands are:

modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup
Hi,
Post by John G Heim
If you have a smart phone and the KNFB reader, you might be able to get
it to read enough of the screen to you to tell if it's stuck part way
through the boot. I've had maybe a 50% success rate with that technique.
Another thing you can do is to try commands like beep and eject. If
those work, you know you're at the command line. If you are typing in
the commands to get speech and it's not working, then it's probably a
sound issue.
Hi,
join #grml on irc.freenode.or
Simon Eigeldinger
2016-02-12 16:09:42 UTC

no it shows a normal debian login screen.
there's no menu.

greetings,
simon
Post by John G Heim
There is a menu that comes up when you boot grml. Could that be what you
are getting? You should be able to press the Q key to get a command
prompt. And then try the eject command to see if it opens your CD
drawer. If you don't have a CD drive, you could also try beep. Once
you're sure you are at the command prompt, you can type in the commands
to start speech. You probably already know this but just in case, the
modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup
Hi,
Post by John G Heim
If you have a smart phone and the KNFB reader, you might be able to get
it to read enough of the screen to you to tell if it's stuck part way
through the boot. I've had maybe a 50% success rate with that technique.
Another thing you can do is to try commands like beep and eject. If
those work, you know you're at the command line. If you are typing in
the commands to get speech and it's not working, then it's probably a
sound issue.
Hi,

join #grml on irc.freeno
John G Heim
2016-02-12 16:17:54 UTC
Oops, it occurs to me that if you are booting from a CD, you can't do an
eject. I always run grml from a thumb drive. That is why I forgot about
that. By the way, it runs way better from a thumb drive than from a CD.

Here is a script I use to build a grml bootable thumb drive. You can
set the environmental variables GRMLDEVICE and GRMLISO and just run it.
Or you can pass them in as parameters. Or you can just run the script
and it will ask. GRMLDEVICE is the device name of your thumb drive and
GRMLISO is the path to a grml iso file. The script will format the thumb
drive and then run grml2usb for you.

#!/bin/bash

test ! -z "$1" && GRMLDEVICE="$1"
if [ -z "$GRMLDEVICE" ]; then
DEFAULT=/dev/sdb
echo -n "Device (default=${DEFAULT}): "
read GRMLDEVICE
test -z "$GRMLDEVICE" && GRMLDEVICE="$DEFAULT"
fi

test ! -z "$2" && GRMLISO="$2"
if [ -z "$GRMLISO" ]; then
for DEFAULT in grml64-full_*; do continue; done
echo -n "GRML iso file (default=$DEFAULT): "
read GRMLISO
test -z "$GRMLISO" && GRMLISO="$DEFAULT"
fi
echo "Building grml on $GRMLDEVICE using $GRMLISO"

P1SIZE=2G
parted ${GRMLDEVICE} mklabel msdos
parted ${GRMLDEVICE} mkpart pri fat16 512 ${P1SIZE}
parted ${GRMLDEVICE} mkpart pri ext2 ${P1SIZE} 100%
parted ${GRMLDEVICE} set 1 boot on
sync

mkfs.vfat -n grml "${GRMLDEVICE}1"
mke2fs -L persistence "${GRMLDEVICE}2"

grml2usb --bootoptions="persistence"
--bootoptions="mypath=/home/grml/persistent" "${GRMLISO}" "${GRMLDEVICE}1"

MOUNTPOINT=/tmp/loop
test ! -d "$MOUNTPOINT" && mkdir "$MOUNTPOINT"
mount "${GRMLDEVICE}2" "$MOUNTPOINT"
cat /dev/null > "${MOUNTPOINT}/persistence.conf"
echo "/home/grml/persistent" >> "${MOUNTPOINT}/persistence.conf"
umount "$MOUNTPOINT"
rmdir "$MOUNTPOINT"
# EOF
Post by John G Heim
There is a menu that comes up when you boot grml. Could that be what
you are getting? You should be able to press the Q key to get a
command prompt. And then try the eject command to see if it opens your
CD drawer. If you don't have a CD drive, you could also try beep. Once
you're sure you are at the command prompt, you can type in the
commands to start speech. You probably already know this but just in
modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup
Hi,
Post by John G Heim
If you have a smart phone and the KNFB reader, you might be able to get
it to read enough of the screen to you to tell if it's stuck part way
through the boot. I've had maybe a 50% success rate with that technique.
Another thing you can do is to try commands like beep and eject. If
those work, you know you're at the command line. If you are typing in
the commands to get speech and it's not working, then it's probably a
sound issue.
Hi,
grml-devel-bl
Simon Eigeldinger
2016-02-12 16:26:40 UTC
John,

I don't know if you don't get it or don't understand:
I am using grml for years now and had the quick menu before as well.
now with the new cd there you are taken to the login prompt.
I used this iso:
http://daily.grml.org/grml32-full_sid/latest/grml32-full_sid_latest.iso

I wonder if there has been a major change in the system recently.

greetings,
simon
Post by John G Heim
There is a menu that comes up when you boot grml. Could that be what
you are getting? You should be able to press the Q key to get a
command prompt. And then try the eject command to see if it opens your
CD drawer. If you don't have a CD drive, you could also try beep. Once
you're sure you are at the command prompt, you can type in the
commands to start speech. You probably already know this but just in
modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup
Hi,
Post by John G Heim
If you have a smart phone and the KNFB reader, you might be able to get
it to read enough of the screen to you to tell if it's stuck part way
through the boot. I've had maybe a 50% success rate with that technique.
Another thing you can do is to try commands like beep and eject. If
those work, you know you're at the command line. If you are typing in
the commands to get speech and it's not working, then it's probably a
sound issue.
Hi,

join #grml on ir
John G Heim
2016-02-12 18:21:03 UTC
Oh, sorry. But the thread is titled "grml accessibility features".
Naturally, I was assuming you were asking about grml's accessibility
features. Anyway, I think the daily build is probably just broken. On my
system, it goes into a loop where itdisplays a login prompt, times out,
bleeps, and then displays the login prompt again. That's not so much an
accessibility problem as a boot problem. But at any rate, I can confirm
the bug.
John,
Post by John G Heim
There is a menu that comes up when you boot grml. Could that be what
you are getting? You should be able to press the Q key to get a
command prompt. And then try the eject command to see if it opens your
CD drawer. If you don't have a CD drive, you could also try beep. Once
you're sure you are at the command prompt, you can type in the
commands to start speech. You probably already know this but just in
modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup
Hi,
Post by John G Heim
If you have a smart phone and the KNFB reader, you might be able to get
it to read enough of the screen to you to tell if it's stuck part way
through the boot. I've had maybe a 50% success rate with that technique.
Another thing you can do is to try commands like beep and eject. If
those work, you know you're at the command line. If you are typing in
the commands to get speech and it's not working, then it's probably a
sound issue.
Hi,
join #grml on irc.freenod
Simon Eigeldinger
2016-02-13 10:12:15 UTC
Hi John,

No problem.
At the beginning i also thought it was me or speakup or other stuff. but
now this topic has more or less changed to basically grml doing
something different.

great that its not just me. *smile*
normally its always me who runs into such stuff.

greetings,
simon
Post by John G Heim
Oh, sorry. But the thread is titled "grml accessibility features".
Naturally, I was assuming you were asking about grml's accessibility
features. Anyway, I think the daily build is probably just broken. On my
system, it goes into a loop where itdisplays a login prompt, times out,
bleeps, and then displays the login prompt again. That's not so much an
accessibility problem as a boot problem. But at any rate, I can confirm
the bug.
John,
Post by John G Heim
There is a menu that comes up when you boot grml. Could that be what
you are getting? You should be able to press the Q key to get a
command prompt. And then try the eject command to see if it opens your
CD drawer. If you don't have a CD drive, you could also try beep. Once
you're sure you are at the command prompt, you can type in the
commands to start speech. You probably already know this but just in
modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup
Hi,
Post by John G Heim
If you have a smart phone and the KNFB reader, you might be able to get
it to read enough of the screen to you to tell if it's stuck part way
through the boot. I've had maybe a 50% success rate with that technique.
Another thing you can do is to try commands like beep and eject. If
those work, you know you're at the command line. If you are typing in
the commands to get speech and it's not working, then it's probably a
sound issue.
Hi,

join #grml on irc
c***@ccs.covici.com
2016-02-13 09:21:59 UTC
I was using a 64-bit one as of early January and did not see this.
Maybe they did something -- I have nowto build a custom one as
myfilesystems are now zfs.
John,
Post by John G Heim
There is a menu that comes up when you boot grml. Could that be what
you are getting? You should be able to press the Q key to get a
command prompt. And then try the eject command to see if it opens your
CD drawer. If you don't have a CD drive, you could also try beep. Once
you're sure you are at the command prompt, you can type in the
commands to start speech. You probably already know this but just in
modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup
Hi,
Post by John G Heim
If you have a smart phone and the KNFB reader, you might be able to get
it to read enough of the screen to you to tell if it's stuck part way
through the boot. I've had maybe a 50% success rate with that technique.
Another thing you can do is to try commands like beep and eject. If
those work, you know you're at the command line. If you are typing in
the commands to get speech and it's not working, then it's probably a
sound issue.
Hi,

grml-devel-blog:
Simon Eigeldinger
2016-02-13 10:08:44 UTC

its weird.
maybe michael could chime in and bring some light in.

greetings,
simon
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
I was using a 64-bit one as of early January and did not see this.
Maybe they did something -- I have nowto build a custom one as
myfilesystems are now zfs.
John,
Post by John G Heim
There is a menu that comes up when you boot grml. Could that be what
you are getting? You should be able to press the Q key to get a
command prompt. And then try the eject command to see if it opens your
CD drawer. If you don't have a CD drive, you could also try beep. Once
you're sure you are at the command prompt, you can type in the
commands to start speech. You probably already know this but just in
modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup
Hi,
Post by John G Heim
If you have a smart phone and the KNFB reader, you might be able to get
it to read enough of the screen to you to tell if it's stuck part way
through the boot. I've had maybe a 50% success rate with that technique.
Another thing you can do is to try commands like beep and eject. If
those work, you know you're at the command line. If you are typing in
the commands to get speech and it's not working, then it's probably a
sound issue.
Hi,

grml-devel-blog: http://bl
c***@ccs.covici.com

grml-dev
Simon Eigeldinger
2016-02-13 10:09:37 UTC

you get the login screen when you wait until the 2 beeps have occurred.
the first beep is the beginning of the boot prompt and the second one is
that it has timed out and will continue booting.

greetings,
simon
Post by c***@ccs.covici.com
No login screen, just a place where you hit tab and type options, if you
hit enter there it will boot.
Hi,
Post by John G Heim
If you have a smart phone and the KNFB reader, you might be able to get
it to read enough of the screen to you to tell if it's stuck part way
through the boot. I've had maybe a 50% success rate with that technique.
Another thing you can do is to try commands like beep and eject. If
those work, you know you're at the command line. If you are typing in
the commands to get speech and it's not working, then it's probably a
sound issue.
Hi,