[Grml] odd console output
f gr
2013-05-01 14:36:21 UTC
Hello.
If I run the system by runlevel 1 (or 3) and type the command ls, zsh
shows the following (as a normal user the same):

;root at hostname: ls [without any line breaks]

The odd thing is that when I run the shell by a terminal emulator (in
my case xfce4-terminal) the output is OK.

set authenticate zifumuur

set delivery off
f gr

set nomail on zifumuur
Frank Terbeck
2013-05-01 19:40:40 UTC
Post by f gr
If I run the system by runlevel 1 (or 3) and type the command ls, zsh
;root at hostname: ls [without any line breaks]
The odd thing is that when I run the shell by a terminal emulator (in
my case xfce4-terminal) the output is OK.
So, we're talking about the linux kernel's non-graphical (perhaps
framebuffer-based) terminal emulation?

What's the value of "$TERM" in your running shell session?

Regards, Frank
f gr
2013-05-02 07:20:16 UTC
Post by Frank Terbeck
Post by f gr
If I run the system by runlevel 1 (or 3) and type the command ls,
;root at hostname: ls [without any line breaks]
The odd thing is that when I run the shell by a terminal emulator
(in my case xfce4-terminal) the output is OK.
So, we're talking about the linux kernel's non-graphical (perhaps
framebuffer-based) terminal emulation?
Yes.
Post by Frank Terbeck
What's the value of "$TERM" in your running shell session?
It's 'xterm-256color' (setting up within $HOME/.zshrc.local file)
Post by Frank Terbeck
Regards, Frank
Regards
Frank Terbeck
2013-05-02 08:22:56 UTC
[...]
Post by f gr
Post by Frank Terbeck
What's the value of "$TERM" in your running shell session?
It's 'xterm-256color' (setting up within $HOME/.zshrc.local file)
This is what I hinted at on the zsh mailing list already.

Do *NOT* mess with $TERM unless you _know_ what you're doing is correct.

The linux console is not xterm. Xterm would also allow terminal title
setting, which the setup then tries. The correct $TERM for the linux
console is "linux".

Note that there are very few cases where setting TERM makes sense at
all. For example, most modern versions of xterm support both "xterm" and
"xterm-256color". Tmux supports "screen" and "screen-256color"...

But you cannot just TERM as you please. It has consequences for programs
running inside the terminal (such as zsh). If you'd set TERM to
"xterm-256color" for rxvt for example, you're asking for trouble and
things are going to break.

So, the short answer is: Don't mess with $TERM.

Regards, Frank