[Grml] grml-live questions
T o n g
2010-07-14 05:28:24 UTC

How is grml-live officially used to create daily snapshot CDs (for amd64
grml-small & grml-medium)?

I did a test run, but got some error at the end. How can I fix it and get
an ISO created?

Thanks

PS. Detailed logs:

mount -o remount,suid,dev,rw /dev/shm

grml-live -o /dev/shm -c GRMLBASE,GRML_SMALL,amd64 -s sid
grml-live [0.9.41~git]: check your configuration (or use -F to force
execution):

FAI classes: GRMLBASE,GRML_SMALL,amd64
main directory: /dev/shm
Chroot target: /dev/shm/grml_chroot
Build target: /dev/shm/grml_cd
ISO target: /dev/shm/grml_isos
Grml name: grml
Release name: grml-live rocks
Build date: 2010-07-14
Grml version: 0.0.1
Debian suite: sid
Architecture: amd64
Boot method: isolinux
Template files: /usr/share/grml-live/templates
Logging to file: /var/log/grml-live.log

Is this ok for you? [y/N] y
. . .
Calling task_finish
Ramdisk on /dev/shm/grml_chroot/var/lib/dpkg umounted
Wed Jul 14 01:10:22 EDT 2010
The dirinstall took 571 seconds.
/dev/shm/grml_chroot/var/lib/dpkg is not a mounted ramdisk.
Calling task_savelog
End of /usr/sbin/fai
* Rebuilding initramfs
[ ok ]
* Error: there was a critical error during execution of stage 'fai
dirinstall'
* Note: check out /var/log/fai/grml/last/ for details. [exit 2]
[ !! ]

$ tail -12 /var/log/fai/grml/last/fai.log
Executing shell: GRMLBASE/97-apt-listchanges
GRMLBASE/97-apt-listchanges OK.
Executing shell: GRMLBASE/98-clean-chroot
GRMLBASE/98-clean-chroot FAILED with exit code 9.
Executing shell: GRMLBASE/99-finish-grml-build
GRMLBASE/99-finish-grml-build OK.
Calling task_finish
Ramdisk on /dev/shm/grml_chroot/var/lib/dpkg umounted
Wed Jul 14 01:10:22 EDT 2010
The dirinstall took 571 seconds.
/dev/shm/grml_chroot/var/lib/dpkg is not a mounted ramdisk.
Calling task_savelog

$ tail /var/log/fai/grml/last/shell.log
(Reading database ... 17063 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libsigc++-2.0-0c2a ...
Purging configuration files for libsigc++-2.0-0c2a ...
Removing libxapian15 ...
Purging configuration files for libxapian15 ...
* /boot/config- not available. $KERNEL not set to correct value?
[ !! ]

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/
Michael Prokop
2010-07-14 06:48:10 UTC
Post by T o n g
How is grml-live officially used to create daily snapshot CDs (for amd64
grml-small & grml-medium)?
Check out buildd/ in grml-live's git tree, or directly install
package grml-live-buildd.
Post by T o n g
I did a test run, but got some error at the end. How can I fix it and get
an ISO created?
grml-live -o /dev/shm -c GRMLBASE,GRML_SMALL,amd64 -s sid
^^^^^
This isn't a valid class name.
Post by T o n g
* /boot/config- not available. $KERNEL not set to correct value?
Use AMD64 instead of amd64.

regards,
-mika-
Post by Michael Prokop
Post by T o n g
grml-live -o /dev/shm -c GRMLBASE,GRML_SMALL,amd64 -s sid
^^^^^
This isn't a valid class name.
. . . Use AMD64 instead of amd64.
Oh, I was confused by the man page saying:

in "-c CLASSES" explanation:

"If using a non-I386 system (like *amd64*) you should ..."

that's where I get/use the "amd64" from.

Thanks
Michael Prokop
2010-07-15 11:34:08 UTC
Post by T o n g
Post by Michael Prokop
Post by T o n g
grml-live -o /dev/shm -c GRMLBASE,GRML_SMALL,amd64 -s sid
^^^^^
This isn't a valid class name.
. . . Use AMD64 instead of amd64.
"If using a non-I386 system (like *amd64*) you should ..."
that's where I get/use the "amd64" from.
Thanks, fixed the wording and added an "important" note to the class
option:

http://grml.org/grml-live/#_options

regards,
-mika-

Post by T o n g
How is grml-live officially used to create daily snapshot CDs (for
amd64 grml-small & grml-medium)?
Check out buildd/ in grml-live's git tree, or directly install package
grml-live-buildd.
Thanks a lot. Another question, about grml-live customization,

IMHO, so far grml-live is developed mainly for grml developers. For end
users, it is better not to play with any files within the grml-live
structure, so as to make it easy when to upgrade grml-live.

Is there such a mechanism in place now? I knew there is a
/etc/grml/grml-live.local file to do some variable setting customization,
but I was talking about adding new CLASSes, and new files/patches, etc.

Thanks
Michael Prokop
2010-07-15 11:27:12 UTC
Post by T o n g
Post by T o n g
How is grml-live officially used to create daily snapshot CDs (for
amd64 grml-small & grml-medium)?
Check out buildd/ in grml-live's git tree, or directly install package
grml-live-buildd.
Thanks a lot. Another question, about grml-live customization,
IMHO, so far grml-live is developed mainly for grml developers. For end
users, it is better not to play with any files within the grml-live
structure, so as to make it easy when to upgrade grml-live.
Is there such a mechanism in place now? I knew there is a
/etc/grml/grml-live.local file to do some variable setting customization,
but I was talking about adding new CLASSes, and new files/patches, etc.
http://grml.org/grml-live/#add-additional-debian-packages

regards,
-mika-
IMHO, so far grml-live is developed mainly for grml developers. For end
users, it is better not to play with any files within the grml-live
structure, so as to make it easy when to upgrade grml-live. . .
http://grml.org/grml-live/#add-additional-debian-packages
Thanks. Oh, well, I was thinking not to mess up with /etc/grml/fai/
directory with user files, so as to make it easy when upgrading grml-
live...

Anyway, thanks.
T o n g

T o n g

Michael Prokop

T o n g

T o n g

T o n g

T o n g
2010-07-14 15:24:03 UTC
Post by T o n g
I did a test run
,-----
| If you want to use a local mirror ... checkout ... apt-cacher(1) and
| approx(8).
`-----

I'm using apt-cacher now. How can I tell grml-live to use my apt cache
(ie, http://cache_server:3142)?

I've checked FAI?s NFSROOT, grml-live's MIRROR_DIRECTORY &
MIRROR_SOURCES, all don't seems to be able to do it.

Thanks
T o n g
2010-07-15 03:49:55 UTC
Post by T o n g
I'm using apt-cacher now. How can I tell grml-live to use my apt cache
(ie, http://cache_server:3142)?
OK,

export http_proxy='http://cache_server:3142'

should do the trick.
T o n g

T o n g

T o n g
2010-07-20 22:49:29 UTC

Does the grml-live package_config files support line end comments? e.g.,

a_debian_package # line end comment that explains what it is

Thanks
Michael Prokop
2010-07-21 10:22:31 UTC
Post by T o n g
Does the grml-live package_config files support line end comments? e.g.,
a_debian_package # line end comment that explains what it is
Yes.

regards,
-mika-

I did a test run, but got some error at the end . . .
Hi,

My CD was successfully build by grml-live. Detailed log at
http://paste.grml.org/44/

However, the CD isn't bootable:

kvm -boot d -cdrom /dev/shm/gl/grml_isos/depen64.iso

http://imagebin.ca/view/JQo_Gae.html

What could be wrong?

Thanks
Michael Prokop
2010-07-21 09:53:04 UTC
Post by T o n g
I did a test run, but got some error at the end . . .
My CD was successfully build by grml-live. Detailed log at
http://paste.grml.org/44/
kvm -boot d -cdrom /dev/shm/gl/grml_isos/depen64.iso
http://imagebin.ca/view/JQo_Gae.html
What could be wrong?
Problem with isolinux 4, I'm investigating.

regards,
-mika-
I did a test run, but got some error at the end . . .
My CD was successfully build by grml-live. Detailed log at
http://paste.grml.org/44/
kvm -boot d -cdrom /dev/shm/gl/grml_isos/depen64.iso
http://imagebin.ca/view/JQo_Gae.html
What could be wrong?
I just uploaded grml-live 0.9.43 to grml-testing which addresses
this issue, please let me know whether it works for you as well.

regards,
-mika-
I did a test run, but got some error at the end . . .
My CD was successfully build by grml-live. Detailed log at
http://paste.grml.org/44/
kvm -boot d -cdrom /dev/shm/gl/grml_isos/depen64.iso
http://imagebin.ca/view/JQo_Gae.html
What could be wrong?
Problem with isolinux 4, I'm investigating.
I just uploaded grml-live 0.9.43 to grml-testing which addresses this
issue, please let me know whether it works for you as well.
Yep,

rm /dev/shm/gl/grml_cd/boot/isolinux/ -rf
rm /dev/shm/gl/grml_isos/depen64.iso
grml-live ...

problem solved. CD boots fine.
T o n g

T o n g

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/
Michael Prokop

Is it possible to *add to* current GRML_LIVE_SOURCES setting?

I tried,

GRML_LIVE_SOURCES="$GRML_LIVE_SOURCES
# debian multimedia
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main non-free
. . .
"

but got

/etc/grml/grml-live.local: line 29: GRML_LIVE_SOURCES: unbound variable

then I realized that the grml-live.local should be in python syntax,
which I don't know.

Please help.
Thanks
Michael Prokop
2010-07-27 03:24:55 UTC
Post by T o n g
Is it possible to *add to* current GRML_LIVE_SOURCES setting?
I tried,
GRML_LIVE_SOURCES="$GRML_LIVE_SOURCES
# debian multimedia
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main non-free
. . .
"
but got
/etc/grml/grml-live.local: line 29: GRML_LIVE_SOURCES: unbound variable
then I realized that the grml-live.local should be in python syntax,
which I don't know.
Python? No.

"GRML_LIVE_SOURCES: unbound variable" tells you that you are
using a variable that isn't set yet. So get rid of the unset
$GRML_LIVE_SOURCES.

regards,
-mika-

When are dpkg.list & dpkg.selections generated, before chroot
installation or after it?

I bumped into a strange problem that grml-live is installing packages not
in the dpkg.list & dpkg.selections -- I "thought" that I remove all java
packages from my source package list, then "confirmed" that with the
following:

$ grep -i java /var/log/fai/depen/last/dpkg.selections || echo no found
no found

$ grep -i java /var/log/fai/depen/last/dpkg.list
ii libmozjs2d
1.9.1.11-1 The Mozilla SpiderMonkey
JavaScript library

However, grml-live still failed because of java packages:

$ grep -i java /var/log/fai/depen/last/software.log
iso-codes{a} java-common{a} jed jed-common{a} keyboard-configuration{a}
sendmail-bin sendmail-cf sensible-mda slsh{a} strace sun-java6-bin{a}
sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre{a} synergy tcl tcl8.4{a} telnet tftp tk
Get:3 http://cdn.debian.net sid/main java-common 0.38 [64.2kB]
Get:5 http://cdn.debian.net sid/non-free sun-java6-jre 6.20-dlj-4 [6537kB]
Get:10 http://cdn.debian.net sid/non-free sun-java6-bin 6.20-dlj-4
[27.7MB]
Get:209 http://cdn.debian.net sid/non-free sun-java6-fonts 6.20-dlj-4
[1888B]
Selecting previously deselected package java-common.
Unpacking java-common (from .../java-common_0.38_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package sun-java6-jre.
Unpacking sun-java6-jre (from .../sun-java6-jre_6.20-dlj-4_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-jre_6.20-
dlj-4_all.deb (--unpack):
Selecting previously deselected package sun-java6-bin.
Unpacking sun-java6-bin (from .../sun-java6-bin_6.20-dlj-4_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-bin_6.20-
dlj-4_amd64.deb (--unpack):
/var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-jre_6.20-dlj-4_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-bin_6.20-dlj-4_amd64.deb
Setting up java-common (0.38) ...
ERROR: chroot /dev/shm/gl/grml_chroot aptitude -R -y -o
Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold"
install wcalc gawk patch rlwrap clex lsof strace pinfo xpdf-reader xchm
bzip2 zip unzip rar unrar p7zip-full dar par2 libsox-fmt-mp3 libsox-fmt-
alsa qiv geeqie antiword xlhtml cabextract orange chntpw cmospwd dtmfdial
jed aspell aspell-en emacs ncurses-hexedit mtpaint mhwaveedit bbe pump
dnsutils arping rsync rdate keychain curl lynx ncftp tftp gftp-gtk
openssh-client openssl telnet sensible-mda procmail xnetload iftop
httping sendmail-bin sendmail-cf sasl2-bin libsasl2-modules synergy
gcalcli unison dsniff locales localepurge rxvt-unicode-ml ttf-arphic-
uming ttf-arphic-ukai recode zh-autoconvert ibus ibus-pinyin ibus-table-
wubi xserver-xorg x11-xserver-utils xserver-xorg-video-all xresprobe
xfonts-base xfonts-75dpi xfonts-scalable ttf-liberation ttf-bitstream-
vera ttf-dejavu-core sun-java6-fonts defoma fontconfig x-ttcidfont-conf
xbase-clients xterm rxvt-ml fluxbox pcmanfm xosview xclip mesa-utils
libgl1-mesa-dri tcl tk return code 255
java-common{u} libxaw7{u} libxkbfile1{u} libxmu6{u} libxmuu1{u}
Removing java-common ...

Any comment?

Thanks
I did a test run . . .
Michael Prokop
2010-07-29 01:38:09 UTC
Post by T o n g
When are dpkg.list & dpkg.selections generated, before chroot
installation or after it?
The files are generated in one of the final steps before the
squashfs file will be generated, it should catch what will be
shipped by the ISO then.
Post by T o n g
I bumped into a strange problem that grml-live is installing packages not
in the dpkg.list & dpkg.selections -- I "thought" that I remove all java
packages from my source package list, then "confirmed" that with the
$ grep -i java /var/log/fai/depen/last/dpkg.selections || echo no found
no found
$ grep -i java /var/log/fai/depen/last/dpkg.list
ii libmozjs2d
1.9.1.11-1 The Mozilla SpiderMonkey
JavaScript library
Check out "apt-cache rdepends libmozjs2d" and if that doesn't help
yet check out debtree -> http://collab-maint.alioth.debian.org/debtree/

Regarding the logs, be aware of:

# ls ~log/fai/*/last*
/var/log/fai/grml/last@ /var/log/fai/grml/last-dirinstall@ /var/log/fai/grml/last-softupdate@

In /usr/share/doc/grml-docs/packages/dpkg_list inside the chroot/ISO
you should have the final version.
Post by T o n g
$ grep -i java /var/log/fai/depen/last/software.log
iso-codes{a} java-common{a} jed jed-common{a} keyboard-configuration{a}
sendmail-bin sendmail-cf sensible-mda slsh{a} strace sun-java6-bin{a}
sun-java6-fonts sun-java6-jre{a} synergy tcl tcl8.4{a} telnet tftp tk
[...]
Post by T o n g
Unpacking sun-java6-jre (from .../sun-java6-jre_6.20-dlj-4_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-jre_6.20-
Selecting previously deselected package sun-java6-bin.
Unpacking sun-java6-bin (from .../sun-java6-bin_6.20-dlj-4_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-bin_6.20-
/var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-jre_6.20-dlj-4_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/sun-java6-bin_6.20-dlj-4_amd64.deb
Setting up java-common (0.38) ...
[...]

Wild guess: might be because you don't provide debconf preseeding
for accepting the license of the sun java package.

regards,
-mika-
Wild guess: might be because you don't provide debconf preseeding for
accepting the license of the sun java package.
BINGO!

Would you be so kind to tell me how to do it please?

thanks
Michael Prokop
2010-07-30 04:27:45 UTC
Post by T o n g
Wild guess: might be because you don't provide debconf preseeding for
accepting the license of the sun java package.
BINGO!
Would you be so kind to tell me how to do it please?
Execute "debconf-get-selections | grep $PACKAGENAME"
and put its output to /etc/grml/fai/config/debconf/$YOURCLASS.

For further details see debconf-get-selections(1) and
http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/doc/man/fai-debconf.html

regards,
-mika-

T o n g

Michael Prokop

Michael Prokop

`-----

T o n g
2010-07-20 22:49:29 UTC

Thanks
T o n g

T o n g

Thanks
T o n g

T o n g

Michael Prokop

`-----

T o n g
2010-07-20 22:49:29 UTC

Thanks
T o n g

T o n g

Thanks
T o n g

T o n g
2010-08-04 23:04:08 UTC

How to designate my own locales for grml-live?

How to use the "LOCALES" class?

Thanks
T o n g
2010-08-12 03:17:39 UTC
Post by T o n g
How to designate my own locales for grml-live?
Under /etc/grml/fai/config/

- Prepare a file 'files/etc/locale.gen/GRMLBASE' according to your /etc/
locale.gen

- create a file 'scripts/GRMLBASE/23-locales' as:

---------------------
#! /bin/bash
fcopy /etc/locale.gen
---------------------

That's it.
T o n g
2010-08-12 04:33:38 UTC
Post by T o n g
Post by T o n g
How to designate my own locales for grml-live?
Under /etc/grml/fai/config/
- Prepare a file 'files/etc/locale.gen/GRMLBASE' according to your /etc/
locale.gen
---------------------
#! /bin/bash
fcopy /etc/locale.gen
---------------------
That's it.
Ops, concluded too soon. This will fix:

s/locale.gen/locale.gen.minimal/g
T o n g

T o n g

T o n g

T o n g

T o n g
2010-08-09 03:26:28 UTC

What's the password for root and user grml by default in the system built
by grml-live? Is it possible that I config grml-live with passwords not
in clear text?

Thanks
Ulrich Dangel
2010-08-09 08:46:02 UTC
* T o n g wrote [09.08.10 05:26]:
Hi,
Post by T o n g
Hi,
What's the password for root and user grml by default in the system built
by grml-live?
None.

,----[ ./templates/GRML/README.txt ]

`----
Post by T o n g
Is it possible that I config grml-live with passwords not
in clear text?
It is possible. But it is not directly supported by grml-live, e.g. you would
have to write your own script.

regards,
Ulrich
T o n g
2010-08-09 22:25:33 UTC
Post by T o n g
What's the password for root and user grml by default in the system
built by grml-live?
. . . There are no default passwords. All accounts are locked by
default. | Even local logins are not possible
Ok, then I guess the following is only done half the way, right?

$ grep -B1 ROOTPW class/GRMLBASE.var
# root password for the new installed linux system; md5 and crypt are
possible
ROOTPW='x'
Post by T o n g
Is it possible that I config grml-live with passwords not in clear
text?
It is possible. But it is not directly supported by grml-live, e.g. you
would have to write your own script.
Ok, I'm on my own now.

I tried to search, but only to have found:

Setting ROOTPW not properly documented in fai-guide
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.fai/7612/focus=7618

Anyone has positive experience doing this?

Thanks
Ulrich Dangel
2010-08-09 22:42:34 UTC
* T o n g wrote [10.08.10 00:25]:
Hi,
Post by T o n g
Ok, then I guess the following is only done half the way, right?
$ grep -B1 ROOTPW class/GRMLBASE.var
# root password for the new installed linux system; md5 and crypt are
possible
ROOTPW='x'
AFAIK it is just copied from FAIBASE.var. As the variable is never used
in the grml classes it seems to me that, at least the grml classes, do
not support it directly.
Post by T o n g
Setting ROOTPW not properly documented in fai-guide
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.fai/7612/focus=7618
The FAIBASE class supports AFAIK setting the password via the ROOTPW
variable.
Just have a look at the fai documentation. This has IMHO nothing to do
with grml-live.

Please note that i do not have deep knowledge of grml-live nor of fai.
So maybe you should ask the more general fai related questions on the
fai list or wait until mika is back.

regards,
Ulrich
Ulrich Dangel