[Grml] Is grml still alive
Klaus Fuerstberger
2016-07-18 07:41:01 UTC
Hello,

as I could not post a blog comment at
http://blog.grml.org/archives/394-Is-Grml-still-alive.html I want to
leave a comment to this article here.

Many thanks for grml all over the years. Please keep on providing new
releases without systemd packages. There is no need for this bloated
piece of software for a text based distribution for system admins.
Maybe you can base grml on devuan, a systemd-free, debian-based
distribution in the future? https://devuan.org/ I am sure that you will
get help there if there are any questions.

Klaus
join #grml o
Klaus Fuerstberger
2016-07-20 07:25:39 UTC
Post by Klaus Fuerstberger
as I could not post a blog comment at
http://blog.grml.org/archives/394-Is-Grml-still-alive.html I want to
leave a comment to this article here.
Many thanks for grml all over the years. Please keep on providing new
releases without systemd packages. There is no need for this bloated
piece of software for a text based distribution for system admins.
Maybe you can base grml on devuan, a systemd-free, debian-based
distribution in the future? https://devuan.org/ I am sure that you will
get help there if there are any questions.
JFTR, we definitely plan to ship Grml *with* systemd, because that
is the way to go for us and also gives people remastering Grml even
more flexibility WRT service startups, independent from our default
configuration.
You made Grml for people to be flexible in remastering it? I think Grml
was, and is complete as it is. If I want to add a daemon at startup I
need no systemd to successful remastering Grml. But of course it is your
decision.
If you're interested in a Grml flavor *without* systemd you're
invited to work on that, you might be also interested in picking up
file-rc as upstream respectively package maintainer (file-rc being
the init system we relied on so far and where no maintainer seems to
be present anymore, esp. once both Alex and me will orphan it).
Thanks for the invitation to maintain Grml with sysvinit. But I will not
have the time to maintain such a big change alone. But as grml is also
listed in
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#GNU.2FLinux_distributions
I send a copy of this post to the devuan mailing list. Maybe there will
be someone who is using Grml and interested to keep this systemd free.

Regards
Klaus
join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-devel-blog: http://blog.grml
Arnt Karlsen
2016-07-20 11:22:16 UTC
On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 09:25:39 +0200, Klaus wrote in message
Post by Klaus Fuerstberger
Post by Klaus Fuerstberger
[...]
..looks like Grml is a loss: http://bts.grml.org/grml/issue1568
Pity. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=alternatives+to+udev&ia=web

..systemd, udev etc pötterication has no more tech etc merit than e.g.
Erdogan's ban on Turk academics going on e.g. vacation abroad.
Scenarios always come in sets of three:
join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-devel-blog:
Alexander Wirt

join #grml on irc.freeno
Alexander Wirt
2016-07-20 13:22:18 UTC
Post by Klaus Fuerstberger
Post by Klaus Fuerstberger
[...]
Please don't Cc our mailinglist again.
..from which mailing list am I now being banished? ;o)
I am aware I am not welcome on Debian mailing lists due to my knowledge
of banana republic politics and how they brought systemd upon Debian,
and therefore didn't cc any Debian mailing lists. ;o)
You are also not welcome on grml mailinglists.

Alex