[Grml] using persistence
John G. Heim
2013-10-18 17:29:16 UTC
I can't find any documentation on what persistence can do for me. What
can I do with it? What I need to do is create a flash drive that runs a
script upon boot. Can I do that?

I created a flash drive with persistence but now I'm not sure how to use it.

-
---
John G. Heim, 608-263-4189, jheim at math.wisc.edu
Darshaka Pathirana
2013-10-20 21:14:49 UTC
Post by John G. Heim
I can't find any documentation on what persistence can do for me.
What can I do with it? What I need to do is create a flash drive
that runs a script upon boot. Can I do that?
I created a flash drive with persistence but now I'm not sure how to use it.
Without going into full details: "persistence" and "running a script
upon boot" are two different features.

Take a look at:

[1] http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=persistency

and look for "grml scripts" in

[2] http://grml.org/cheatcodes

HTH (a bit) && HAND
- Darsha
John G. Heim
2013-10-22 15:04:29 UTC
Well, what I ended up doing is passing the
"mypath=/home/grml/persistent" parameter to grml2usb.

export ISO=grml64-full_2013.09.iso
export GRML=/dev/sdb1
grml2usb --bootoptions="persistence"
--bootoptions="mypath=/home/grml/persistent" "${ISO}" "${GRML}"

I then copied my script to /home/grml/persistent/. So now after booting
the grml usb stick, I can just type the script name. I think I could
probably have passed a different bootoption to run the script but it is
an install script and I figured this is safer. Anyway, the combination
of persistence and bootoptions did the trick.
Post by Darshaka Pathirana
Hi,
Post by John G. Heim
I can't find any documentation on what persistence can do for me.
What can I do with it? What I need to do is create a flash drive
that runs a script upon boot. Can I do that?
I created a flash drive with persistence but now I'm not sure how to use it.
Without going into full details: "persistence" and "running a script
upon boot" are two different features.
[1] http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=persistency
and look for "grml scripts" in
[2] http://grml.org/cheatcodes