[Grml] loop-AES removed: PANIC
Fog_Watch
2012-03-07 01:03:18 UTC
I downloaded Knecht Rootrecht overnight, booted it this morning and
thought I'ld just check whether it still contained loop-AES. It
doesn't. IT DOESN'T. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. First, Knoppix, now
GRML. PANIC.

Loop-AES is fast, efficient, cool, essential and all my software and
data sit on it.

Breathe deeply. I'm calming down now.

Please, maintainers, may I have loop-AES back?

Regards

Fog_Watch
--
"A. Because it breaks the logical order of conversation.
Q. Why is top posting bad?"
Ulrich Dangel
2012-03-07 01:23:20 UTC
Post by Fog_Watch
I downloaded Knecht Rootrecht overnight, booted it this morning and
thought I'ld just check whether it still contained loop-AES. It
doesn't. IT DOESN'T. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. First, Knoppix, now
GRML. PANIC.
AFAIK loop-aes is deprecated and you should switch sooner rather than
later to dm-crypt or luks.
Post by Fog_Watch
Loop-AES is fast, efficient, cool, essential and all my software and
data sit on it.
loop-aes is not essential. It is afaik an external kernel module
and was never integrated into upstream.

You should switch to dm-crypt. For a starting point have a look at
http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#7._Interoperability_with_other_Disk_Encryption_Tools

Ulrich
Alexander Wirt
2012-03-07 10:17:21 UTC
Post by Fog_Watch
Loop-AES is fast, efficient, cool, essential and all my software and
data sit on it.
loop-aes is not essential. It is afaik an external kernel module
and was never integrated into upstream.
jftr dm-crypt can mount cryptoloop:
http://fob.po8.org/node/516

Alex
Alexander Wirt, formorer at formorer.de
CC99 2DDD D39E 75B0 B0AA B25C D35B BC99 BC7D 020A