[Grml] dmesg is empty
T o n g
2010-07-13 16:16:29 UTC

IIRC, the /var/log/dmesg file is empty when booting into grml.

Can anyone confirm this?
How can I fix it so that my device info is retained?

Thanks
--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/
Michael Prokop
2010-07-14 08:56:34 UTC
Post by T o n g
IIRC, the /var/log/dmesg file is empty when booting into grml.
Can anyone confirm this?
How can I fix it so that my device info is retained?
That's because we don't invoke /etc/init.d/bootlogs in live mode.
Why would you need that? Doesn't invoking dmesg(1) provide what
you'd need?

regards,
-mika-
Why would you need that? Doesn't invoking dmesg(1) provide what you'd
need?
I was trying to use dmesg to see what kind of peripheral does the booted
machine has. IIRC, dmesg yielded empty output as well.

A better alternative to see all peripheral info for the box?

Thanks
Michael Prokop
2010-07-15 11:35:33 UTC
Post by T o n g
Why would you need that? Doesn't invoking dmesg(1) provide what you'd
need?
I was trying to use dmesg to see what kind of peripheral does the booted
machine has. IIRC, dmesg yielded empty output as well.
Basically /var/log/dmesg provides the same as running dmesg.
Post by T o n g
A better alternative to see all peripheral info for the box?
Invoking dmesg, lspci, lshw, hwinfo --all,...
Check out what grml-hwinfo does.

regards,
-mika-
. . . Doesn't invoking dmesg(1) provide what you'd
need?
. . . IIRC, dmesg yielded empty output as well.
Nope, incorrect -- invoking dmesg(1) right after boot can get boot up
peripheral info.

Thanks
Michael Prokop

Michael Prokop