[Grml] Accessibility in the grml 2011.12
Philippe Delavalade
2011-12-13 13:57:11 UTC
Hi all.

I had a look to the Release Notes for Grml 2011.12-rc1 and something seems
very unclear to me :

* The accessibility support now consists of shipping standard speakup
and enabling sound during boot. A new beep sequence (4 tones) is
sounded just before the quickconfig menu starts. (The boot options
have been removed.)

When I hear the 4 tones, is it time to invoke brltty ?

I don't really understand the meaning of
??the boot options have been removed?.

And when shall I choose lang=fr ?

Thanks for explanations.
Ph. Delavalade
Ulrich Dangel
2011-12-13 14:34:23 UTC
* Philippe Delavalade wrote [13.12.11 14:57]:
Hi,
Post by Philippe Delavalade
Hi all.
I had a look to the Release Notes for Grml 2011.12-rc1 and something seems
* The accessibility support now consists of shipping standard speakup
and enabling sound during boot. A new beep sequence (4 tones) is
sounded just before the quickconfig menu starts. (The boot options
have been removed.)
When I hear the 4 tones, is it time to invoke brltty ?
No, it is time to press enter (or q) because the grml-quickconfig menu (the
ones where you can start specific programs etc. after bootup) is shown.

After you press enter (or q) you are at the normal prompt.
Post by Philippe Delavalade
I don't really understand the meaning of
??the boot options have been removed?.
There were bootoptions (blind brltty=type,port,tbl) which were removed.
Post by Philippe Delavalade
And when shall I choose lang=fr ?
At the boot prompt? When the cd stops spinning press tab to add
additional bootoptions and add lang=fr

Ulrich
--
twitter: @mr_ud | identica: @mru
IRCNet: mru | freenode: mrud
Philippe Delavalade
2011-12-13 16:12:04 UTC
Post by Ulrich Dangel
Hi,
Post by Philippe Delavalade
Hi all.
I had a look to the Release Notes for Grml 2011.12-rc1 and something seems
* The accessibility support now consists of shipping standard speakup
and enabling sound during boot. A new beep sequence (4 tones) is
sounded just before the quickconfig menu starts. (The boot options
have been removed.)
When I hear the 4 tones, is it time to invoke brltty ?
No, it is time to press enter (or q) because the grml-quickconfig menu (the
ones where you can start specific programs etc. after bootup) is shown.
After you press enter (or q) you are at the normal prompt.
Post by Philippe Delavalade
I don't really understand the meaning of
??the boot options have been removed?.
There were bootoptions (blind brltty=type,port,tbl) which were removed.
So, accessibility is disabled :-( That's what I feared and the 4 tones are
of no interest...
Post by Ulrich Dangel
Post by Philippe Delavalade
And when shall I choose lang=fr ?
At the boot prompt? When the cd stops spinning press tab to add
additional bootoptions and add lang=fr
I hoped the tones should announce it's time to enter boot options. That
should be an enhancement for accessibility !

Anyway, many thanks for your help.

And I'm sorry for sending twice this mail to your email adress !
Ph. Delavalade
Philippe Delavalade
2011-12-13 17:53:36 UTC
From: "Philippe Delavalade" <philippe.delavalade at sfr.fr>
To: <grml at ml.grml.org>
Post by Philippe Delavalade
So, accessibility is disabled :-( That's what I feared and the 4 tones are
of no interest...
Well, I wouldn't go that far. When you hear the tones, press q, and
type in the command to load the accessibility tool of your choice.
For example, if you have a doubletalk, you'd type "modprobe
speakup_ltlk".
Maybe, but my interest is for braille with brltty ; earlier, there was a
boot option invoking brltty ; it was not easy to deal with because it was
not easy to know when it was time to enter the option and keyboard was an
qwerty one. Nevertheless, I could customize with grml2iso and a help from
this list.

Now, I have to wait for the tones, press 'q' and invoke brltty ; but I'm
stil in qwerty :-( I can say I want french with the lang boot option but
it's not so easy to know when I have to enter the boot option.

I feel the best way should be to have a beep when it's time to enter boot
options ; then it should be possible to enter the option brltty=,,, the
blind option and the lang.

I was pleased with the previous release (2011.05) customized ; I fear
customizing the next release will be more difficult.

Maybe I'm wrong and I hope so.
It occurs to me that it is kind of inaccurate to say that the
accessibility tools have been removed. The speakup modules are now
part of a regular kernel. They haven't been removed. So you should
be able to load them at the boot prompt via the normal process for
I haven't had time to try the latest grml release yet either. But
I'll do that ASAP and report back. If you want to try it yourself,
here is a link to documentation on the kernel.org web site on how to
http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
I'll have a look to it but for me, braille is much more important than speech.
Assuming that works, grml is more accessible than ever. At the very
least, you should be able to load the speakup modules after boot.
As I know, speakup don't speak french :-(

Thanks ; I'm going to try another time.
--
Ph. Delavalade