[Grml] Timezone problem
Darshaka Pathirana
2010-04-19 09:06:51 UTC
Hi!

When booting grml on a system where Windows is installed and the
hardware-clock is set to local time I often get annoyed when finding
out that the timestamps are all wrong because grml assumes the system
is set to UTC.

There might be a boot option to fix this ("grml gmt tz=..." ?) but I
would prefer such an option somewhere in the start menu.

Would that be possible or is there another way for doing that
(quickly)?

Greetings
- Darsha
Ulrich Dangel
2010-04-19 20:37:45 UTC
Post by Darshaka Pathirana
When booting grml on a system where Windows is installed and the
hardware-clock is set to local time I often get annoyed when finding
out that the timestamps are all wrong because grml assumes the system
is set to UTC.
There might be a boot option to fix this ("grml gmt tz=..." ?) but I
would prefer such an option somewhere in the start menu.
What do you mean with start menu? Bootloader with several additional
boot-options for grml or grml-quickconfig (menu after you booted grml
allowing easy start/change several things like keyboard layout)?
For the later it should be easily doable to write a new entry. Have a
look at man grml-quickconfig and the menu entries in /usr/share/grml-
quickconfig/

Ulrich
Darshaka Pathirana
2010-04-20 08:24:51 UTC
Post by Ulrich Dangel
Post by Darshaka Pathirana
When booting grml on a system where Windows is installed and the
hardware-clock is set to local time I often get annoyed when finding
out that the timestamps are all wrong because grml assumes the system
is set to UTC.
There might be a boot option to fix this ("grml gmt tz=..." ?) but I
would prefer such an option somewhere in the start menu.
What do you mean with start menu? Bootloader with several additional
boot-options for grml or grml-quickconfig (menu after you booted grml
allowing easy start/change several things like keyboard layout)?
For the later it should be easily doable to write a new entry. Have a
look at man grml-quickconfig and the menu entries in /usr/share/grml-
quickconfig/
Yes. I meant grml-quickconfig and I will take a look at it. Thx.

But my actual question is: how is this problem (change to local-time /
set timezone) solved by others (as this should be a common problem)?
Everything done by hand or is there already a script to solve that?

Greetings,
- Darsha
Bob
2010-04-20 10:16:44 UTC
Post by Darshaka Pathirana
Post by Ulrich Dangel
Post by Darshaka Pathirana
[...]
To see what the timezone setting is: 'tzselect'
To change the timezone: ?dpkg-reconfigure tzdata?
Look at 'man tzselect'

-BoB
Darshaka Pathirana
2010-04-20 11:46:19 UTC
Post by Bob
Post by Darshaka Pathirana
Post by Ulrich Dangel
Post by Darshaka Pathirana
[...]
Thx. I know that. My problem is not about the timezone but much more
about the hwclock set to UTC vs. local time. According to the
start-scripts a variable UTC in "/etc/default/rcS" is used to honor
this behavior.

And I have no easy way of fixing this (after booting up) without
fidling around with hwclock and "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata"...

I'm still puzzled about the fact that there are hardly any reports on
this issue. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I have to boot up grml
to bring up more details though. But I still hope someone can
enlighten me.

Greetings,
- Darsha
Darshaka Pathirana
2010-04-22 15:13:22 UTC
Post by Darshaka Pathirana
Post by Bob
To see what the timezone setting is: 'tzselect'
To change the timezone: ?dpkg-reconfigure tzdata?
Look at 'man tzselect'
Thx. I know that. My problem is not about the timezone but much more
about the hwclock set to UTC vs. local time. According to the
start-scripts a variable UTC in "/etc/default/rcS" is used to honor
this behavior.
And I have no easy way of fixing this (after booting up) without
fidling around with hwclock and "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata"...
Okay.. after taking a few seconds to really check what was going on
the solution is as simple as:

% hwclock -s --localtime

I've added a localtime module to grml-quickconfig and attached the
patch. Hopefully it will find it's way to the package. ;) (I did /not/
change the changelog.)

Btw: @mika: why was the "Happy Hacking"-output was dropped? I liked it. ;)

Greetings,
- Darsha
To see what the timezone setting is: 'tzselect'
To change the timezone: ?dpkg-reconfigure tzdata?
Look at 'man tzselect'
Thx. I know that. My problem is not about the timezone but much more
about the hwclock set to UTC vs. local time. According to the
start-scripts a variable UTC in "/etc/default/rcS" is used to honor
this behavior.
And I have no easy way of fixing this (after booting up) without
fidling around with hwclock and "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata"...
Okay.. after taking a few seconds to really check what was going on
% hwclock -s --localtime
I've added a localtime module to grml-quickconfig and attached the
patch. Hopefully it will find it's way to the package. ;) (I did /not/
change the changelog.)
Tested the new grml-release recently and it seems that the variable
UTC has been changed to "no" which means the problem moved to systems
where the hwclock is set to UTC. The solution there would then be:

% hwclock -s --utc

Therefor my patch for grml-quickconfig got absolete. Maybe it should
take the UTC-variable into account and/or give the opportunity
to switch the time-setting from utc to localtime and vice versa...
Greetings,
- Darsha
Ulrich Dangel
2010-04-29 00:26:16 UTC
* Darshaka Pathirana wrote [29.04.10 02:10]:
Hi,
Post by Darshaka Pathirana
Post by Darshaka Pathirana
Okay.. after taking a few seconds to really check what was going on
% hwclock -s --localtime
I've added a localtime module to grml-quickconfig and attached the
patch. Hopefully it will find it's way to the package. ;) (I did /not/
change the changelog.)
Tested the new grml-release recently and it seems that the variable
UTC has been changed to "no" which means the problem moved to systems
As we already got several release-candidates its very unlikely that the
patch will make it into 2010.04.

And to be honest i am not sure if this is something which should be
added to the default grml-quickconig as it is IMHO not as often used
as for example changing the keyboard layout or starting X.

Would you mind to add your patch and problem description to our
bugtracking system <http://bts.grml.org> so others can benefit from it
and use your patch?

regards,
Ulrich
Michael Prokop
2010-04-29 00:31:32 UTC
Post by Darshaka Pathirana
Post by Darshaka Pathirana
Okay.. after taking a few seconds to really check what was going on
% hwclock -s --localtime
I've added a localtime module to grml-quickconfig and attached the
patch. Hopefully it will find it's way to the package. ;) (I did /not/
change the changelog.)
Tested the new grml-release recently and it seems that the variable
UTC has been changed to "no" which means the problem moved to systems
% hwclock -s --utc
Therefor my patch for grml-quickconfig got absolete. Maybe it should
take the UTC-variable into account and/or give the opportunity
to switch the time-setting from utc to localtime and vice versa...
Thanks for bringing this up, Darsha.
We've documented this issue under http://grml.org/faq/#timezone - is
there anything missing what should be added/improved/changed?
Hehe. :)

We try to make the system even more flexible and customizable
and therefore we're removing static output whereever reasonable.
Maybe a "custom slogan feature" will appear in an upcoming Grml
release providing this output again. :)

regards,
-mika-

Ulrich