[Grml] About grml bootid
T o n g
2010-06-13 16:50:54 UTC

Can somebody explain the newly introduced bootid option?

I know,

bootid is used "for verifying the ISO through bootid=.... bootoption"
and the logic behind bootoptions and possible combinations:

* bootid.txt + wrong bootid=... => fails to boot
* bootid.txt + right bootid=... => boots
* bootid.txt + ignore_bootid => boots
* bootid.txt + no bootid=... + no ignore_bootid => fails to boot
* no bootid.txt + no bootid=... + no ignore_bootid => boots
* no bootid.txt + bootid=... => fails to boot
* no bootid.txt + ignore_bootid=... => boots

I mean to ask,

- what exactly does the bootid stand for?
- how does the file /conf/bootid.txt generated?
- how would bootid work with integrating multiple-grml on the same USB?

Is there somewhere to read more about it?

Thanks
--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/
Ulrich Dangel
2010-06-13 19:24:00 UTC
* T o n g wrote [13.06.10 18:50]:
Hi,
Post by T o n g
I mean to ask,
- what exactly does the bootid stand for?
An id identifying the correct boot device.
Post by T o n g
- how does the file /conf/bootid.txt generated?
grml-live, like everything else.
Post by T o n g
- how would bootid work with integrating multiple-grml on the same USB?
grml2usb takes care of it.
Basically the process is:
If no /conf/bootid.txt is present, generate a random id and write it to
/conf/bootid.txt.
Read /conf/bootid.txt and adjust the bootid parameter for every
specified iso.
Post by T o n g
Is there somewhere to read more about it?
What do you want to know? IMO it is quite simple, it is an identifier to
identify the system.

regards,
Ulrich
T o n g
2010-07-21 15:56:24 UTC
Post by Ulrich Dangel
Post by T o n g
- how would bootid work with integrating multiple-grml on the same USB?
grml2usb takes care of it.
If no /conf/bootid.txt is present, generate a random id and write it to
/conf/bootid.txt.
Read /conf/bootid.txt and adjust the bootid parameter for every
specified iso.
Thanks for the reply.

OK, if I build my own flavour of grml via grml-live, and I want to
install it to the same USB key that an official flavour of grml has been
installed, would it be possible?

According to the above, it seems impossible to me because there is only
one /conf/bootid.txt file on the USB key and the content in mine would be
different than the official one.

Is that so?

Thanks
Michael Prokop
2010-07-21 20:11:32 UTC
Post by T o n g
Post by Ulrich Dangel
Post by T o n g
- how would bootid work with integrating multiple-grml on the same USB?
grml2usb takes care of it.
If no /conf/bootid.txt is present, generate a random id and write it to
/conf/bootid.txt.
Read /conf/bootid.txt and adjust the bootid parameter for every
specified iso.
Thanks for the reply.
OK, if I build my own flavour of grml via grml-live, and I want to
install it to the same USB key that an official flavour of grml has been
installed, would it be possible?
According to the above, it seems impossible to me because there is only
one /conf/bootid.txt file on the USB key and the content in mine would be
different than the official one.
grml2usb generates the bootid for you, so it's supposed to "just
work" for your own flavour of grml. If it doesn't work it's a bug.

Enjoy. :)

regards,
-mika-
- how would bootid work with integrating multiple-grml on the same USB?
grml2usb takes care of it.
If no /conf/bootid.txt is present, generate a random id and write it
to /conf/bootid.txt.
Read /conf/bootid.txt and adjust the bootid parameter for every
specified iso.
Thanks for the reply.
OK, if I build my own flavour of grml via grml-live, and I want to
install it to the same USB key that an official flavour of grml has
been installed, would it be possible?
According to the above, it seems impossible to me because there is only
one /conf/bootid.txt file on the USB key and the content in mine would
be different than the official one.
grml2usb generates the bootid for you, so it's supposed to "just work"
for your own flavour of grml. If it doesn't work it's a bug.
Sorry I still don't get it.

Say when grml2usb installing grml-small and generates a bootid of grml-
small-123. Then when grml2usb installing my own flavour of grml, it
generates another bootid of my-own-456. Now grml-small expect that the
bootid is grml-small-123, and mine being my-own-456. My understand is
that only one of them can boot now. which part I've figured wrong?

Thanks
Ulrich Dangel
2010-07-22 08:33:06 UTC
Post by T o n g
Sorry I still don't get it.
Say when grml2usb installing grml-small and generates a bootid of grml-
small-123. Then when grml2usb installing my own flavour of grml, it
generates another bootid of my-own-456. Now grml-small expect that the
bootid is grml-small-123, and mine being my-own-456. My understand is
that only one of them can boot now. which part I've figured wrong?
All flavours will be adjusted to expect bootid small-123.

To be more clear:
* No bootid.txt exists on the target - generate one
* read the first line of bootid.txt and use it as bootid
* Adjust bootid parameter on $FLAVOUR to read bootid

Ulrich
T o n g
2010-07-22 23:50:37 UTC
Post by Ulrich Dangel
Post by T o n g
Say when grml2usb installing grml-small and generates a bootid of grml-
small-123. Then when grml2usb installing my own flavour of grml, it
generates another bootid of my-own-456. Now grml-small expect that the
bootid is grml-small-123, and mine being my-own-456. My understand is
that only one of them can boot now. which part I've figured wrong?
All flavours will be adjusted to expect bootid small-123.
* No bootid.txt exists on the target - generate one * read the first
line of bootid.txt and use it as bootid * Adjust bootid parameter on
$FLAVOUR to read bootid
Ok, got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, it's a nice feature that I've been looking for long time ago, so
that I know exactly which one to boot if HD, USB, CD all have bootable
grml images.

However, IMHO, it only goes half the way. It still isn't able to solve
the problem that I want to boot two different version of grml-medium off
the same device. I think a better approach is to use, say boot-signature,
which is per boot folder, not per disk.

just my 2c.
Ulrich Dangel
2010-07-23 00:00:32 UTC
Post by T o n g
However, IMHO, it only goes half the way. It still isn't able to solve
the problem that I want to boot two different version of grml-medium off
the same device. I think a better approach is to use, say boot-signature,
which is per boot folder, not per disk.
Yes it does not, as this solution is designed for determine the correct
boot medium and has nothing to do with several versions of one flavour
on one disk. It is btw. possible to do this manually without a problem.

Ulrich
Ulrich Dangel

Ulrich
Ulrich Dangel