[Grml] grml: speakup/espeak doesn't work because espeak/espeak-ng can't talk
Eigeldinger Simon
2018-01-08 13:11:40 UTC
Hi all,

Can someone have a look at espeak/espeak-ng?
There seems to be a problem with the sound system or espeak/espeak-ng.
Would be cool if someone could fix it.
I guess if espeak could talk again then speakup should talk again as well.

Greetins and thanks,
Simon

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Simon Eigeldinger
Informatik
Nebengebäude 1, OG1

[Hohenems_logo]Stadt Hohenems
Kaiser-Franz-Josef-Straße 4
6845 Hohenems
T: +43 5576 7101-1143 | E: ***@hohenems.at | www.hohenems.at

Diese Nachricht und allfällige angehängte Dokumente sind vertraulich und nur für den/die Adressaten bestimmt.
John G Heim
2018-01-08 21:13:11 UTC
I was able to boot the grml64-full_2017.05.iso in a virtualbox virtual
machine and got speech. I have not tried the 32 bit image. I can
probably try the 32 bit image if necessary. But you should first try to
provide more information. Try enabling ssh when you boot and then
cut/paste the results of the commands you are using to start speakup.
Post by Eigeldinger Simon
Hi all,
Can someone have a look at espeak/espeak-ng?
There seems to be a problem with the sound system or espeak/espeak-ng.
Would be cool if someone could fix it.
I guess if espeak could talk again then speakup should talk again as well.
Greetins and thanks,
Simon
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
*Simon Eigeldinger*
Informatik
Nebengebäude 1, OG1
Hohenems_logo*Stadt**Hohenems*
Kaiser-Franz-Josef-Straße 4
6845 Hohenems
Diese Nachricht und allfällige angehängte Dokumente sind vertraulich und
nur für den/die Adressaten bestimmt.
join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-devel-blog: http://
Eigeldinger Simon
2018-01-09 13:41:46 UTC
Hi John,

tried with 2017.05. that works now. at least on a hp probook 650 g2.
though espeak seems to spew out a bunch of error messages when using by itself that it can't find jack and other parts.
though espeakup seems to work fine.
the hp probook is also a different computer with just one sound card.

i guess it might be difficult when you have multiple cards or hdmi connectors which also provide sound output.
i have one of those machines and i have some trouble with that.
the system seems to select the wrong one and so you haven't any sound at all.
i guess the only solution would be braille on that machine or ssh.
or is there a program or script to select more than one soundcard?

btw can you have a look at a daily build?
i don't know if those do fine as well.

Btw i wasn't lucky with the ssh server.
Ssh=password seems not to work at the boot prompt.
Though starting the ssh server manually and setting the password works.

Greetings and thanks,
Simon

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Simon Eigeldinger
Informatik
Nebengebäude 1, OG1

grml-devel-blog:
John G Heim
2018-01-09 17:38:52 UTC
I'm not sure it's accurate to say grml picks the "wrong" sound card. It
is kind of your responsibility to either connect to the sound card it
has found or use a program like amixer to change it. What I often do in
a situation like this is to plug a headset into every possible port and
just listen to the screen reader on whatever port the system has found
first.
join #grml on irc.freeno
Simon Eigeldinger
2018-01-09 17:59:01 UTC
Hi John,

I am not blaming it on grml.
i also see that on other linux distros.
you can't plug anything in a hdmi port though it seems to show up as a
sound card.
some others seem to have the same issue on some machines.

i heard of the talking arch iso got around that with a script that
checks every sound card it finds and beeps or plays a sound at it and
the user can confirm which one worked.

i know the guy who maintains talking arch.
will ask him for the script.
i guess that could be a pretty interesting solution.

or what do you think.

Greetings,
Simon
Post by Eigeldinger Simon
Hi all,
Can someone have a look at espeak/espeak-ng?
There seems to be a problem with the sound system or espeak/espeak-ng.
Would be cool if someone could fix it.
I guess if espeak could talk again then speakup should talk again as well.
Greetins and thanks,
Simon
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
*Simon Eigeldinger*
Informatik
Nebengebäude 1, OG1
Hohenems_logo*Stadt**Hohenems*
Kaiser-Franz-Josef-Straße 4
6845 Hohenems
www.hohenems.at
Diese Nachricht und allfällige angehängte Dokumente sind vertraulich
und nur für den/die Adressaten bestimmt.
join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-devel-blog: http://blog.grml.org/
---

join #grml on irc.freenode.org
grml-dev
Simon Eigeldinger
2018-01-09 18:12:08 UTC
Adding my audio devices here from the computer i have trouble with at
the moment.
i was able to access it using braille which was ok:

00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core
Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio
Controller

at least that is what lspci outputs.

Greetings,
Simon